bears or coyotes?

spiceholler

Chirping
Sep 12, 2021
Yesterday was quite rainy and our ducks asked to be let out of their pen to free range for a bit. we have 3 ducks and about 20+ chickens (free range during the day). the rule has been that we are supposed to be watching the ducks while they are out, but of course we have loosened that rule as "things are fine here" and we've had very minimal daytime predation. I know, it's not the smartest decision and of course you know what happened.

all three of our ducks were apparently nabbed down the creek a bit farther from where they usually roam. our thoughts were either they stepped into the creek and drifted down or they walked down our driveway which becomes it's own little creek during heavy rains. my husband thinks it may have happened when he went out on an errand (against our rule!, but I forgive him).

it looks like they were nabbed by the creek and then dragged across the creek and up the mountain. my dog was able to track them and find the trail leading to three different piles of feathers. while we were up there we saw a small bear cub in the distance.

foxes usually hunt alone so i think we've ruled out a fox. an animal would not bring 3 ducks into the mountains and eat them in three different places.

we have recently spotted a black bear juvenile cub in the area (and assume mom is somewhere close by). do bears hunt with their cubs? would the mom have grabbed all three ducks and brought them to her cubs?

could it have been a coyote pack?

of course in the end it doesn't matter as we are very sad to have lost all three of our ducks in one go. we know the mistakes we made, but are just interested in learning more about animal behavior. we want to let nature be our teacher and follow it's lead.

Back
Top Bottom