Beat up Americana

Sophie442

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014

I found a bunch of feathers in the hen box and then found this. (Picture) I put BLU-kite) on her but today it looks like this, which is worse. These are new chickens which have only been laying for about 2-3 months. They have plenty of room in their fenced area and a great shed w a nice roosting area, but we need more nesting boxes. What can I do to treat and prevent?

I would check her over for lice and mites... You might find egg clusters around the base of her feathers near her vent. Sometimes, chickens can get so itchy, they will pull their own feathers out.

Absent external parasites, do you have roosters in with your flock? She could be getting over-tread.

Separate this chicken and let her rest some place warm, dim, and quiet... like a dog crate in the garage. Clean her up with water and soap (or chlorhexidine, if you happen to have some) and put some Neosporin on her.

I'm afraid with so much angry red tissue I see, that she might get picked on, which can lead to worse things.

Let us know!

MrsB

I have 2 Americanas and I see the other has a bloody spot. I looked for lice but I don't see anything. I put the the 2 in a dog cage together with food and water. What I am wondering is when I have had this happen before I can't ever seem to integrate them back in????

I do have a rooster. I have never seen him peck the hens. I have seen the others peck at the one that's really bad. The only time he grabs them is to breed, and that's on their heads, not their backs. Has anyone ever been able to integrate a hurt chicken back in after she heals or do you have to give them away?

Can you put the kennel inside the run with the rest of the flock?
Not sure if it's large enough for 2 girls, you will have to determine that.
Atleast put the worst one in the cage, in the run, with her own food and water. I had a girl injure her foot and separated her for a few days, to keep her "calm" but put her in a dog kennel inside the run so everyone would be "together". No problems with integration.
Apply some plain neosporin or veterycin spray to her wounds.
It does look like rooster treading or feather picking. The rooster claws (nails) and spurs can damage/injure the back and feathers of the hen when he mounts her.
You may want to consider saddles for your girls if this is what is causing the damage, you can find them on Etsy, Ebay or Amazon.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/chicken-saddles-chicken-diapers-who-knew.html

Maybe that is what's happening. I didn't want a rooster to begin with, but he was mixed in w the rest and apparently was sexed wrong. I have no problem getting rid of HIM. I'd rather do that than get the saddles. I have 16 hens!
I did put them in a dog kennel in the coop w their own water and food. I'll put some neosporin on their wounds and go from there. I think I may get rid of him if that's whats causing the wounds. I'm assuming he hurts them, the hens see the blood, and it goes from there....you know, now that I remember, when I discovered her wounds, there were a bunch of feathers in the laying box. I think that's where it started. Will they fight over the boxes?

Maybe that is what's happening. I didn't want a rooster to begin with, but he was mixed in w the rest and apparently was sexed wrong. I have no problem getting rid of HIM. I'd rather do that than get the saddles. I have 16 hens!
I did put them in a dog kennel in the coop w their own water and food. I'll put some neosporin on their wounds and go from there. I think I may get rid of him if that's whats causing the wounds. I'm assuming he hurts them, the hens see the blood, and it goes from there....you know, now that I remember, when I discovered her wounds, there were a bunch of feathers in the laying box. I think that's where it started. Will they fight over the boxes?

Getting rid of him is one solution for sure.

Thanks for the input! We're going to build more laying boxes and probably get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom