Beautiful Feathered wild bird killed, what the heck is it!?

thedoors5to1

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
today I came home to a red tailed hawk consuming what i assume to be a smallish bird, maybe a pheasant?? i assume it was small because the hawk was able to take flight with the carcass as i walked near. I didnt even notice him till he took flight, i was astonished by the mass of feathers for what i thought would be a small bird.
i have no idea what it was, the majority of the feathers were small and white, there were some red and brown feathers mixed in from the red tailed hawk, what ever victim he had gave up after a fight.
what came from the victim was small white feathers, 4 inch dark feathers with blue/green iridenscent to them. along with these strange black and white lined feathers and mottled looking spotty feathers. I can add more photos if needed for identification, is this a pheasant? it doesnt look so to me. Anyone know what this is by these strange feathers? thanks! im so curious the creature has beautiful plummage!
edited to add: I live in rhode island, and this was a wild bird. thankfully none of my pets were harmed.. but they must have seen the whole thing.. it was killled near thier kiddie pool. In sight of thier pen where they were (thankfully) locked up at the time
DSC00702.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

Last edited:
looks absolutely nothing whatsoever like a hen(or cock) pheasant. Only 2 birds in the states with those feathers are drake wood ducks, and drake mandarins.

hey thanks so much everyone! im pretty positive it was a wood duck drake.. It makes sense considering i live in sight of a pond down the street. I found the feathers near my ducks kiddie pool, we've had mallard visitors before to the kiddie pool, but never a wood-duck. such a shame poor duck.. but i am glad it wasnt mine. phew. rip pretty drake

Back
Top Bottom