Becoming self sufficient

I just recently started an aquaponics system. It did require an initial investment but my yard is very very small and I want to experiment with how self sufficient I can get even in an urban yard. I built the greenhouse myself which saved money and am using an old 330 gallon tank that used to store cooking oil as my fish tank -- I found it on craigslist.

I am growing vegetables completely soil-less in rain gutters inside the greenhouse and have 30 tilapia fingerlings in the tank. The "nitrogen rich" (fish poo water) waters the plants and the plants absorb the nutrients, cleaning the water which then goes back into the tank for a beautiful little completely organic and edible ecosystem. I am growing my own duckweed in a used kiddy pool and also do red worm composting. The fish can eat the duckweed and the worms. I plan on breeding guppies for them at some point down the road but have not found a cheap enough tank for them yet.

My whole set up probably cost about $800-1k but you could definitely start a little smaller than I did and spend less. It really is just a one time investment because once you get going there is very little maintenance expense and I will not be buying as much food commercially. I will be growing a lot of food and higher quality food at that and think I will definitely save money in the long term. I spent extra on little solar panels for the pump and fan and a few fancy things that were not critical.

I am just starting out on my first crop by I think it is REALLY fun so far. I try to put as much back into the little eco system as I can. I dry the chicken poop (sort of pre-compost it to lessen the acidic-ness) enough to give it to the worms, who feed the fish, who feed the plants, who feed the chickens. It's like magic. The aquaponics system does require daily care to check the water PH.

I also have 6 laying hens. I grow my own fodder for them and farm mealworms (really easy and really really cheap). I am thinking about adding meat rabbits into the equation at the end of the year.

I love to try to learn how to do as many things as possible myself. I recently learned how to sew. I change the oil in my car. My partner and I laid our own kitchen tile. I bike to work whenever possible. Sometimes it is just about the little things. You can save a lot of money.
Sounds like an excellent system...I forgot to mention that aquaponics grows both fish and vegetables. If you don't want the vegetables, then you can simply raise fish only. 330 Gallons sounds like a good size set up. I am still trying to configure how I will be able to do mine. I might only raise fish and not focus too much on vegetables, but instead a few aquatic plants for oxygen and such. It really is an interesting system, and can be done relatively cheap if you are crafty enough.

We have talked about digging a pond and raising fish. My husband wants ducks!
hugs.gif

I love the idea of raising tilapia. Probably my favorite fish! Does anyone have any photos of there set up? I have turkeys and that's a great way to Start becoming self sufficient. I order my New Zealand rabbits today :-D

One thing we're trying for the first time this year is growing our own wheat. We always have a vegetable garden - this year we overseeded with a hard red winter wheat. Just finished putting on seed heads...waiting for them to turn yellow to harvest. Then we'll plow the stubble under to add back some nutrients to the garden. We've messed around with grinding wheat (in preparation of our "mighty" harvest), and my son LOVES IT. (We have an old-timey hand-crank grain grinder...he likes to "help.") The only problem I have is, you still have to cut it at least 50/50 with commercial flour for most recipes (I haven't been able to figure out how to separate the bran...everything we grind is 100% whole grain). Someone here might know how to separate the parts of the wheat berry for a more baking-friendly flour... The other fun thing with the grain grinder is, if you like Ezekiel bread, you can sprout your own wheat/course grind your own grains/beans for that, too. I looked at Whole Foods the other day - a standard 5 pound sack of sprouted wheat flour was over $7.50!!! This way is labor intense, but WICKED CHEAP. (We got a 50 pound sack of organic whole wheat berries for around $14.00...And our chickens have LOVED the left-over wheat berries! The grinder was a gift, but I doubt it was over $50...) Just a thought!

I don't cut my home ground wheat for bread. It is 100% whole grain, sweetened with honey and it is very tasty. I will try to remember to post the recipe for you. My secret is adding "Dough Enhancer" from Augason Farms, not sure what is in it, but it really helps to make the bread lighter. Vital Wheat Gluten also helps, but the dough enhancer really makes a huge difference.

I like your grain mill, what brand is it? We went whole hog when we bought ours and got one with a motor. If the power goes out, we can disconnect the motor and hand crank it, but 7 cups of wheat flour is too much for me to do and still call it fun.
wink.png

In addition to making our own laundry soap and fabric softener, we also make our own shampoo and conditioner, which is even easier.

Shampoo: 4 tablespoons of Baking Soda in a 1 liter bottle with hot water. Shake to mix.

Conditioner: 4 tablespoons of Cider Vinegar in a 1 liter bottle with water. Shake to mix.

Don't expect a lather from the shampoo, but it will get your hair and scalp clean and it returns your scalp to the proper ph. I have been using it for almost 1 year, and I am even beginning to grow some new fine hair on my bald spot.

We bought mustard/ketchup squeeze bottles at the dollar store for containers. They work real good.

Back
Top Bottom