Bedding for baby ducklings

Sanaif

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2024
I Ve been trying different types of bedding material for my ducklings but no success yet.
Firstly I tried using wood shavings and my ducklings started trying to eat them so I changed to the material which is used for nesting
But my ducklings legs starting stucking in it so now I'm thinking to use straws
Are straws good to be used as bedding material

I Ve been trying different types of bedding material for my ducklings but no success yet.
Firstly I tried using wood shavings and my ducklings started trying to eat them so I changed to the material which is used for nesting
But my ducklings legs starting stucking in it so now I'm thinking to use straws
Are straws good to be used as bedding material
I have sometimes used starw it is ok but they also try to eat it , like the pine flakes. I mostly just use pine flakes. I have never had one choke or die from them. some people start out with puppy pee pads and have good success.

I have sometimes used starw it is ok but they also try to eat it , like the pine flakes. I mostly just use pine flakes. I have never had one choke or die from them. some people start out with puppy pee pads and have good success.
It happens that as soon as I change the bedding they poop on it and eat the poop. I'm really scared if the poop can harm them somehow

It happens that as soon as I change the bedding they poop on it and eat the poop. I'm really scared if the poop can harm them somehow
It will not hurt them. In nature, they eat some of their parent’s poop and it gives them good bacteria for their guts. They are only doing what is natural.
I use pee pads but I put rubber shelf liner over it. The wet stuff soaks in and the rubber gives them good grip. After about a week, I switch to pine shaving with shelf liner on top. Soon after, I give up on shelf liner and use shavings and pee pads.

Back
Top Bottom