Bedding for baby ducklings

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
What is the 1st bedding you should start with for baby ducklings? Is paper towel ok?
Thanks!
wink.png

Quote:
I would think they would try to eat the paper towels. I used old cloth towels. I just run spray them off with the water hose and then run them through the washer and dryer...and they clean up fine. The poop is just feed and water...nothing really that "nasty." Plus the paper towels are going to be soaked within minutes. The cloth towels help with holding water for a longer time. I usually change out the towel 2-3 times a day.

This is my second batch of baby ducks, and both times I've used pine shavings. They're good at absorbing and easy to clean out, and make excellent mulch material for my compost pit. The ducks don't seem interested in eating it either; at least, I've never seen them do it.

I use pelleted horse bedding..it fluffs up as it gets wet so it keeps the ducks area pretty dry...AND it helps with htat lovely ducly aroma!

Quote:
Yeah, I use this for the big ducks when they are in the coop. Dah! I can't believe I didn't think of it.....they won't try & eat it?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am starting with paper towel for the 1st couple of days & then I think I will try the pellets.
smile.png

Thanks all!
wink.png

I tryed the shavings all my babies did was try and eat it...The pellets I was afraid they would be able to eat...They even try to eat the puppy training pads they get a corner and try for all they are worth to eat it...Its crazy...

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats funny you are so right...I have 6 babies right now..3 weeks old in the brooder they will all be sleeping 1 gets up the others freak like something is trying to get them and run to the other side of the tote until they see who it is then they calm down,,,,

Back
Top Bottom