Bedding for Duck House? Hay or Shavings?

So far I like straw in the larger areas of pen where there is no grass and shavings for there small shelter ( no food and water there)
Hoping to build duck house floor on angle with drain and a water proof finish so it can be hosed out, probable use hay in there it gets cold here and they will likely need the insulation in winter. ( even with heat lamp )
Either way works...
Hay all the way for the chickens, great stuff for the gardens less acidic than wood shavings, and seems to attract lots of worms.

I use cardboard shavings. They are absorbent. Plus because they have many layers the top layer stays dry. They're also virtually dust free, and are environmentally safe. And you can buy it on amazon.

I use pine needles and do not give the ducks food nor water in the bedroom. They eat all day and are water gluttons all day as well. They do just fine without it at night. The pine needles do not absorb anything, and don't mold. I change it out every 3-4 weeks. Also, the ducks make a beautiful nest out of the pine needles to lay their yummy eggs.

I love the astro turf idea, If I can find it at this time of the year I'll get it and try it in one area of the coop and report back.

It seems there are a lot of different options. I'm a first-time duck owner - I've had my ducks since March. My two ducks are almost a year old but this is our first winter. I have been using straw in the coop and have had no problems. I clean out the coop every morning. However, there is no more straw to be had in my neighborhood! ALL OUT! Now what? If I clean out my coop daily, is hay an option? I worry about mold and it does get very wet here in wintery coastal CT. When they were ducklings they did eat the pine shavings so I worry about using shavings. Is there an online source for buying straw? Feeling slightly desperate...

It seems there are a lot of different options. I'm a first-time duck owner - I've had my ducks since March. My two ducks are almost a year old but this is our first winter. I have been using straw in the coop and have had no problems. I clean out the coop every morning. However, there is no more straw to be had in my neighborhood! ALL OUT! Now what? If I clean out my coop daily, is hay an option? I worry about mold and it does get very wet here in wintery coastal CT. When they were ducklings they did eat the pine shavings so I worry about using shavings. Is there an online source for buying straw? Feeling slightly desperate...
Don't know of an on line source for buying straw but now that your ducks are adults they wouldn't eat shavings, I get the large flake that is used as horse bedding, I make it deep so they can snuggle down into it on cold nights and clean up the poop and wet daily stir with pitch fork and add more when needed. I like it so much better than straw and hay much more absorbent.

Welcome to BYC!

Thank you so much!
Your very welcome now bring on the pics we love to see pics.
pop.gif

I have 6 runners. 2 fawn and white and 4 blue mountain. All are laying now. I use the med pine chips. The hut is 4 c 6. I usually pick out the black tar poop daily and fluff up the chips. But, I do have food and water in there. I have been reading that some of you leave these out. I have been anal about my ducks having water at all times. How long would be to long for them to do without? Right now they are pretty much sun down sun up here in KY. And yes, any work is well worth the joy of having these friends.

I have 6 runners. 2 fawn and white and 4 blue mountain. All are laying now. I use the med pine chips. The hut is 4 c 6. I usually pick out the black tar poop daily and fluff up the chips. But, I do have food and water in there. I have been reading that some of you leave these out. I have been anal about my ducks having water at all times. How long would be to long for them to do without? Right now they are pretty much sun down sun up here in KY. And yes, any work is well worth the joy of having these friends.
Mine are with out food and water from about 5:30PM till 7:15 am depending on time of yr. this has been the routine all their lives and I have 3 that are 10yrs old. I have way too many to have food and water inside, I only do that when I have babies and they are separate from the adults. Right now there would be a skating rink in their house.

Thanks! I just found another source for straw so I'm relieved, but I am less panicked in case we run out!

I have a male Pekin and a female Indian Runner.

I keep water for my ducks all the time, but I don't have an electricity source in the coop for a bucket warmer. This means I wake up VERY early (some mornings at 4:30) to change out their partially frozen water bucket for fresh water. However, during the last blizzard, I was away and my duck sitter was unable to get to them (state travel ban) for 24 hours. I was a wreck! But, they had water and they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom