Bedding for Nesting Boxes??

Miranda Huber

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2017
South Dakota
Hey Everyone! I have had chickens for years and I love them! Now, I have had a problem with the nesting boxes! I normally put straw in them for them to lay their eggs, but they push out all the straw. I just tried using pine shavings and they push that out too! What do you guys use in your nesting boxes for the hens?? :D Thanks!
~~Miranda~~

you can get fake turf or just put a bigger piece of wood as your lip to hold stuff in. shredded paper is always good. I use my shredded old mail, statements shredded of course and mix it in with pine shavings. Then compost it in a section of the run and the worms love and chickens love worms!

People use wood shavings, straw, hay, dried leaves, rags, carpet, Spanish moss, shredded paper, all kinds of things. I use dried cut grass that has gotten really long. in places IO don't mow or weed-eat. If they are kicking the bedding out try raising the lip. That solved the problem for me. The problem is probably nest design, not the bedding you are using.

I use sugar cane mulch in mine and have found it great. It's similar to straw except much cleaner in the long run. It's the dried leftovers from the sugar production process after the sugar cane has been crushed. It's under $10 per bale and that lasts me a few months for 4 nesting boxes. It also makes the hen house small kind of sweet! I'm in Australia and I'm not sure if it's available everywhere.

IMG_1042.jpg
I use AstroTurf

Last edited:
Doesnt matter WHAT I used, cause my Hens prefer to Lay on the ground, UNDER the Nest Boxes.. However, I used old leaves, cut grass, pine bedding, straw, or what ever I have on hand. My next boxes are wooden boxes, so its a little harder for them to kick the stuff out... Unless the are Young Pullets/cockerels..UHG! And I have found Cardboard Boxes on the ground, or toppers from the cat litter boxes, work great too. But generally my hens Lay on the ground in a little "dug out" spot in the dirt.. OR Where EVER the Muscovy are laying works best..
again Old leaves, grass clippings, Pine shavings, straw, Grass Hay.. even with my nest boxes or the ground, I do have replace the stuff, cause it still gets kicked out.

Back
Top Bottom