Bedding question

Carson213

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
West Coast
I have 24 chickens. Due to a few hens laying eggs on the coop floor, I split the coop in half with 2x6 boards just high enough to keep deep bedding only under the roosts and have no bedding on the other half where I keep the water, feed, oyster shells and roll out nesting boxes. On the side with no bedding, they still poop but it dries fast and it’s easy to just sweep out periodically. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. We have pretty mild winters. We’ll get snow occasionally and the temperatures don’t often go much below freezing.

My question is...do I even need bedding at all? I don’t need the compost.

I have 24 chickens. Due to a few hens laying eggs on the coop floor, I split the coop in half with 2x6 boards just high enough to keep deep bedding only under the roosts and have no bedding on the other half where I keep the water, feed, oyster shells and roll out nesting boxes. On the side with no bedding, they still poop but it dries fast and it’s easy to just sweep out periodically. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. We have pretty mild winters. We’ll get snow occasionally and the temperatures don’t often go much below freezing.

My question is...do I even need bedding at all? I don’t need the compost.
I should add that the chickens have access to big chicken run and I have a pan of diatomaceous earth in the coop for dust baths.

If the coop is fully enclosed, my only concern would be potential moisture buildup. If it were a three sided coop, totally open on one side, I wouldn't be worried about it. If you notice an odor, then you can add bedding if it's a problem. Or you could just turn that one side into sand and scoop it like a litter box.

Bedding has several purposes:

• To dry out the manure and prevent it from becoming odorous, breeding flies, and turning into a health hazard.
  • To cushion the landing when the chickens fly down from the roost, especially the heavy breeds.
  • To make cleaning easier, because it's easier to shovel up bedding than to scrape dried manure off the floor.
  • To insulate the floor in places with severe winters.

If food and water spilling is the problem you have that is making you question the need for bedding, why do you have the food and water in the coop? Is there something about having them in the run that is a problem in your situation?

Back
Top Bottom