bedding question

Looking for opinions and info on what everyone uses for bedding in there coops, pro's and con's - thank you in advance!

I have always used wood pellets. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I put two big bags in my coop so it's deep...and only have to replace them every few months. No every day cleanings. No smell. I love it.

Hello everyone! I am new to raising chickens and ducks. My coop is about 10ft by 13ft and I have a 4 silkie hens and 3 runner ducks( 1male and 2 female) They live together in the coop amicably. My question is how do i keep the coop clean as my ducks make a big mess daily with the water. They are 3 months old, and very messy any suggestions? I currently use wood pellets that will turn into shavings when wet and i use pine shaving on top. Thanks

Regarding the sawdust post: chickens can have respiratory problems and sawdust is not at all recommended for their bedding.

Don't know what to do about duck messes - I'd like to know because I want ducks :)

Pine chips are pretty nice, I use the in nest boxes and broody pens, I can get all the sawdust I want from the local sawmill, and they have coarser chips as well, for free...can't beat that, they only sleep and poop on it so I don't notice it being any dustier than the pine chips, in the winter I add a bale or two of straw. The problem with green hay is it gets moldy if it gets wet and gives off fumes...not at all good...it's fine for nesting boxes though.

sawdust and wood chips from the dust collector is what i am planning on using. Free is the best part of anything you can do, reclaiming and reusing not only saves the wallet but the world we live in.

I use pine shavings and DE I put shavings and DE in a bag and shake it up, so the DE covers the shavings. I let them run on cleaning day, and they always inspect it when I put them back in the coop. We have a farm supply near us, but my first bag for the brooder came from the pet store

I feel very strong about composting,so I always think about the composting affects. For you it would be great,but my thoughts on paper shavings would be the ladies trying to eat and if they succeed then digestion would be a worry. But as long as they're as big or bigger than the pine shavings you shouldn't have a problem. And again then is just my opinion

I use dead leaves, straw, pine pellets and/or paper from the shredders at work. Shredded paper is free but it tends to blow around which is not desirable in an urban area where neighbours might not like your trash in their yards. The straw and pine pellets are my favorite. I'm using deep litter method in my covered run with no problems. The inside of the coop is cleaned once or twice per week and bedding goes into the composter.

In my area many people use peat moss. I haven't tried it but its another option.

I have always used wood pellets. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I put two big bags in my coop so it's deep...and only have to replace them every few months. No every day cleanings. No smell. I love it.

I wonder about the wood pellets, do they eat them?? Wouldn't that be a big problem, I would love to put them in combination with the shavings.

Hi I use the wood pellets and pine shaving on top and it works very well! especially because my ducks are very messy around their waterer. I just use more pellets around there. I was worried about them eating the pellets too, but my chickens and ducks seem to know that it is not food and they just play with it and spit it out, only in the beginning. So no worries your feathered friends should be fine!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom