Bedding

Depends on a few factors:

Where are you brooding and what are you using as a brooder? Sand will be very dusty, so if brooding indoors, you may want to try a less dusty substrate like hemp.

If brooding outdoors, what are your temps? Are you using a brooder plate or heat lamp? If brooding outdoors and in cold temps, sand may get too cold for baby chicks, but if you're using a heat lamp, sand may get too hot.

If you live in a warmer climate and are brooding outdoors with a heat plate, sand may be a good choice. Otherwise, I would go for hemp. Just my opinion.

I brooded my chicks indoors, in an 8x8 tent with a brooder plate, and I used hemp for a couple weeks, then switched to aspen. Both substrates were fairly dust-free (although aspen has a stronger smell).

Depends on a few factors:

Where are you brooding and what are you using as a brooder? Sand will be very dusty, so if brooding indoors, you may want to try a less dusty substrate like hemp.

If brooding outdoors, what are your temps? Are you using a brooder plate or heat lamp? If brooding outdoors and in cold temps, sand may get too cold for baby chicks, but if you're using a heat lamp, sand may get too hot.

If you live in a warmer climate and are brooding outdoors with a heat plate, sand may be a good choice. Otherwise, I would go for hemp. Just my opinion.

I brooded my chicks indoors, in an 8x8 tent with a brooder plate, and I used hemp for a couple weeks, then switched to aspen. Both substrates were fairly dust-free (although aspen has a stronger smell).
I have a brooder plate and right now they are in my garage In a huge storage container. I have 6 more eggs due in 18 days so I will need something larger. A tent is a genius idea!!!! I’m using paper towels right now and I’ve having to change it way to much. They are a messy two. (only 3 days old)

I have a brooder plate and right now they are in my garage In a huge storage container. I have 6 more eggs due in 18 days so I will need something larger. A tent is a genius idea!!!! I’m using paper towels right now and I’ve having to change it way to much. They are a messy two. (only 3 days old)
Paper towel is typically recommended for the first few days (but I know what you mean about having to change it A LOT!). I switched my chicks to hemp at about day 4 (and added a dish of chick grit in case they ate any hemp bits).

I had a really good experience with 8 chicks in the 8x8 tent. If you're interested, you can read about it here:) : https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brooding-my-chicks-in-a-tent-🐥.1549120/

Paper towel is typically recommended for the first few days (but I know what you mean about having to change it A LOT!). I switched my chicks to hemp at about day 4 (and added a dish of chick grit in case they ate any hemp bits).

I had a really good experience with 8 chicks in the 8x8 tent. If you're interested, you can read about it here:) : https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brooding-my-chicks-in-a-tent-🐥.1549120/
Thanks! I definitely will. I need something a little bigger.

Answer for me depends on how many chicks. I brood within my coop in my "brooder room." I use a MHP with ripped up tshirts under it when I have 3-5 chicks. The heat makes the poop dry and I just shake it off and toss in washer. I also use a combo of paper towels and pine shavings around rest of brooder and a shallow dish of sand from my yard so they get used to my soil and do baby dust baths for my entertainment :love

Back
Top Bottom