Bee’s in the chicken feed – should I worry?

Yes, they are after the protein in the crumble.I have a few hives of honeybees and when pollen is in short supply, they will seek out my hens laying mash.Even if they are Africanized, the usaully only attack people when they get to close or disturb their hive.They aren't much of a threat when they are out foraging for pollen/necter.If you do locate the hive,be very careful.Honeybees do not like funny odors(body odor,perfume, passing gas) or loud noises.That goes for Africanzed or not.If you want to get rid of them, have an experienced beekeeper remove them. If you don't know what your doing, it can be very dangerous and deadly if you screw up.
Once their is a pollen flow going they will likely leave your hens feed.As suggested, you can put out some feed to distract the bees from your hens feeding area, but they may still go to the hens feeding area.They may also be interested in the hens water. Good luck, keep us posted...!

Are you sure they're honey bees and not meat bees? i'm not actually sure what their official name is, but they're a little larger than honey bees. i remember camping one time they were constantly after our food. i was mashing up guacamole at one point and they kept swarming the bowl. i got so mad i just mashed them up in the guac. Of course, couldn't eat it after that.

The solution we came up with was to put a sacrificial dish of food a ways away for them to hum around, so we could eat in peace.

I think they're honey bees...but I'm not sure. I tried to watch where they went when they left in the evening. Seems they're heading south, and I know there's a dozen hives next to a cotton field about 1/4 mi away to the south. I remember seeing tubs on top of the hives at times during the year, there are no tubs now. Perhaps those bees are active because of the weather and they need feeding. I wish I knew who's bee's they were!
Yesterday I only fed the chickens whole grains and some scraps. Not a balanced meal, but hopefully with no crumbly soy the bee's will leave. There were *less* bees yesterday. I'll see how it goes today. I found some whole grain soy free organic feed online (scratchandpeck). It's pricy with shipping but hopefully that will help. Thanks everyone for your ideas!!!
Oh, and it's supposed to get cold tomorrow (today will be in the 70's), so maybe that will help too.
Angie

How strange! Good idea pulling the food for a few days, once it disappears, I bet they will move on to greener pastures.

I have noticed the very same thing and what we have in common is the chick starter. That is the one they are after. There are maybe 10 of them eating off the dish with the chick starter in it.

There won't be pollen here for several months. Maybe I should leave some chick food out for the poor bees after my chicks grow and no longer need it.

I have GOBS of Bees right now!
somad.gif

I live in Arizona so its warming up a bit...around 70 now...and for the last week Bees have been invading my Chickens food as well!
I feed Turkey Gamebird (for the ducks) Layer Crumble and Scratch for the Chickens... ALL the bowls are full of bees all day.
They dont seem to have a preferance as to any particular kind of food their going for either. We have a neighbor about 1/4 mile up the road with a hive, so im assuming they are comming over from there. Honeybees!
Strange thing though...they arent the least bit interested in my Goat feeds which has Molassass all in it?!
I tried putting a bowl about 50 yards from the coop...and they just were in BOTH places now!
Any other ideas?
idunno.gif

My bee problem is worse than ever now. I did change feed - no soy - but it hasn't stopped them. We're thinking about covering the coop and pen with some sort of screen. Maybe modifying one of those huge camping tents that are mostly screen. Or we were thinking of covering the pop door with some sort of screen flap and put the feed in the coop. I actually feel sorry for the bees - they must be starving. This is our first year with chickens but I've got to imagine it's a common problem especially in the southern states. There must be some more ideas out there - anyone?

I wonder if what you are seeing are not bees but a type of fly...the black soldier fly. It's not really a "bad guy" either. And the darn things do sound and look like a bee or wasp.

article and pictures

http://www.happydranch.com/articles/Soldier_Fly.htm

This one shows larvae hatching out, but you can hear the sound the adults make in the background and they do buzz like bees...

the larvae...

http://www.christiangrantham.com/2009/07/12/soldier-fly-larvae-in-our-organic-waste-compost-bin/

larvae being raised on grain

http://www.christiangrantham.com/2009/07/12/soldier-fly-larvae-in-our-organic-waste-compost-bin/

I would think if this is what they are, your chickens would be wolfing them down though.

If this is not what they are, and they are honey bees, I would find some other way of control besides killing or poisoning. Honey bees are still trying to make a come-back after the devastation of the mites, colony collapse and other maladies they have been plagued with in recent years. We really need these little guys to increase their numbers.

I was reading that they are actually after the dust from the feed, as a replacement for pollen they're not finding elsewhere. The very last post in this old thread had some interesting insight on it too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=265616&p=5
My
chickens always gobbled up bees, but if I had a hive near me and was getting bombarded with bees, I'd think about talking to the hive keeper. I'm sure they want to keep their bees alive. Maybe leave a note for them if you can't find them? Being scared of bees I'd have to tie a note to stone and toss it that direction.
tongue.png

Going along with talking to the owner, they make pollen substitute feed for honey bees, maybe he would be willing to put some in his hives. It would be in his best interest to, to keep his bees alive. You could also buy some and put it nearby to distract from the chicken feed, the pre-made patties are only $2 or so at a beekeeping supply store (if you have one nearby).

Back
Top Bottom