Beekeeping - crystalized honey on the frames

Jul 17, 2021
Northwest Iowa
My cousin gave us all of her beekeeping equipment, but it has been sitting for likely a year. She had an incident with allergic reaction to stings and her doctor told her she could no longer keep bees. When she brought it all, she had not extracted the honey from the frames and now it appears that it is crystalized and it smells fermented. Is there a use for this crystalized honey? Is it worth the effort to try and clean up the frames somehow? She also gave us several new frames. I am wondering if we should just trash the frames from the supers, etc and start with new frames. Seems like a waste, but we wouldn't even know where to begin to clean those frames up. Is it okay for the chickens to peck at these frames for the honey?

Your advice is appreciated!

I know that when my honey crystallizes in the jar at home, I can just warm it up a bit and it's good as new! From what I understand honey doesn't go bad for like years and years and years.
I have done this also. I just don't have a way to heat up the frames as they are, plus they are still capped with beeswax 😳 There are probably somewhere around 30 frames.

Wow lucky you!
Save the wax! If you don't need it, hook Me up. Lol I buy as much as I can. I had a friend that sold me theirs unfortunately they quit keeping bees last year.
It's great in so many things. I use it for lotion, soap, lip balm, candles. I use it in my jewelry business to lube my saw, and to pick up stones for setting.
Honey is a natural antibiotic. That's good on many things as well.
Nice score.
I think it's well worth it

Wow lucky you!
Save the wax! If you don't need it, hook Me up. Lol I buy as much as I can. I had a friend that sold me theirs unfortunately they quit keeping bees last year.
It's great in so many things. I use it for lotion, soap, lip balm, candles. I use it in my jewelry business to lube my saw, and to pick up stones for setting.
Honey is a natural antibiotic. That's good on many things as well.
Nice score.
I think it's well worth it
I have been watching some videos about how to render the wax. In one, the person had some frames in our same situation. May head that route - thanks, Gigi!

Back
Top Bottom