New hen owner, need help with two hens crowing!

You've got a lovely bachelor bunch there. I'd keep them and just buy eggs at the store!

If your neighbours complain, then you may need to rehome them, but if they aren't actually complaining then you haven't got a problem (yet).

it kind of makes sense as to why the previous owners just abandoned them, doesn't it. So cruel and irresponsible.

They are lucky boys indeed that you've rescued them and if you don't keep them, you will try and rehome them responsibly.

it kind of makes sense as to why the previous owners just abandoned them, doesn't it. So cruel and irresponsible.

They are lucky boys indeed that you've rescued them and if you don't keep them, you will try and rehome them responsibly.

Well, the previous ownder did some bad stuff and was on the run from the law. He was arrested a week or go and won't be going back home anytime soon. Not sure what he was thinking trying to cram 6 chickens and a pig into that tiny coop though.

I'm having gobs of trouble trying to find any place to take them in. Virtually all of the rescues in the area have said no.

Other options are getting a vet to caponise them (basically neutering them) or giving them to someone who will slaughter and process them for meat, hopefully humanely. I couldn't do that with a pet myself, but many chicken keepers raise and process their own food this way which is fine.

Some recommend crow collars but I don't think they are super effective and are probably cruel.

Early morning crowing can be tackled by keeping them totally in the dark until a decent hour, but that doesn't fix the all day crowing.

Just don't give them to someone to "rehome" who might use them for dog bait or cockfighting 🙁. It does happen.

Sounds like the vet really wasn't sure either.
Not all vets know chickens.

She had me convinced, told me she raises chickens and has for a long time, as far as having a house chicken once.

I may have found a sanctuary farm for them, but it's going to be a month-ish before they're done putting together their first chicken enclosure. The crowing has gotten really bad; today may be the worst. It's about every 15-30 minutes now and doesn't seem to stop until I go outside to ask them to politely stop. They have food and water and the entire yard to roam, so I'm not really sure what the issue is.

Back
Top Bottom