Been here over a year, and I haven't said Hi!

Keeber

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2015
Lexington, GA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone. My wife and I are proud chicken parents to a small mixed hobby flock. These chickens are truly a joy as well as being a true gateway drug. I am now addicted to chickens and want to add goats!

We are a young early 40s couple that work in the long term care industry and are trying to enjoy our expanding small semi-rural homestead. We've had chickens for almost 2 years. We've lost a few, we've added a few. I will say that the time I have spent here looking for for stories and information has been great, and most helpful.

So again Hello! everyone.

Hello, how are you? I got some goats a few years ago and they Chewed the siding off of my house. So I sold them on craigslist. Now its nothing but chickens for me.

Doing great! My parents had a goat that did that back in the early 70s. They truly will eat anything. I've been told I'm nuts for thinking about goats as well, they are escape artists and such. I'll never know unless I try. My chickens are no better. I find them on top of the coop sometimes and its 7ft tall.

Better late than never =
welcome-byc.gif
Goats escaping can do much more damage than chickens. Some folks build them a jungle Jim and other climbing fixtures and even trampolines to keep them busy and happy at home.

I'm sure I could build whatever they could need, I do live beside a busy road though, and a goat could do considerable damage to a car. I guess I can resist the urge until I get to live more rural... for now I'll probably stick to chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you're enjoying your flock! We've had chickens, goats and meat rabbits. For us, the rabbits were the easiest to care for, the chickens the most interesting/entertaining and the goats the most work (and seeing how we couldn't bring ourselves to eat them, more ornamental than anything, lol).

If you want to expand your homestead, what about adding another type of poultry? Maybe you'd enjoy ducks or geese since you like having the chickens?

I've never met a goose that liked me unless I had food. Ducks are an idea, I will have to read up on them. When I think duck, I think pond, and I don't have one. Is that even necessary? I've been considering raising rabbits or quail for a meat source.

Last edited:
I've never met a goose that liked me unless I had food. Ducks are an idea, I will have to read up on them. When I think duck, I think pond, and I don't have one. Is that even necessary?

No, you can get by with a man-made water feature for them or even something like kiddy pools.

Back
Top Bottom