Bees

SGMI

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2015
Hello everyone!! I have been reading and learning so much from everyone thank you all for your great information!! We have encountered a problem in our coop since it has warmed up. We have honey bees that take over the coop during the day and leave at night. When they are there during the day the chickens will not go in!! Is there a way to naturally repel or kill the bees? Thank you!!

Are you sure they're honeybees?
Are you sure that's the reason the chickens won't go in?
I have my hives between 2 of the coops and there is virtually no interaction between the bees and chickens. They just ignore each other.
I had an infestation of bumblebees in one of the coops and the chickens didn't give a hoot.

I've had the big carpenter bees go into the coop and start drilling their nest holes in the unfinished rafters. But, they are solitary bees, not a high number. They are big, hover well, but do not sting. Never seemed to bother the chickens, though.

I am pretty sure they are honey bees. And yes they won't go in when the bees are in there. I have read several places that chickens don't mind bees but that doesn't seem like the case. They normally go in and out of the coop all day as well as free range but sine the bees showed up they stay outside all day. Their food and water are in the coop. Should I just let them work it out on their own?

Back
Top Bottom