MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
So today we lost two out of four of our new pullets. We had a total of nine chickens, 4 new chickens and 5 older. Just two weeks ago, we decided that the pullets were big enough to start free ranging at 12 weeks - especially since they were getting along great inside the coop with the older chickens.

They free-ranged wonderfully for the past two weeks, but they wouldn't stay close to the older chickens and the rooster, they stayed closer to the coop while the others wandered. Today, when I came to lock everyone up, two were missing.

I am highly suspecting a fox, as one or two times a year, a fox takes my chickens during the day. Just two months ago, I was out cleaning the coop when it ran up to my flock and I had to chase the mangey thing away across the yard - how bold of it to come out in plain daylight with me around!!

If anyone has any ideas about fox prevention, please let me know. My run is unfortunately too small to hold everyone in for a long-term solution, we got our chickens to free range and keep the tick population down. Putting up a fence is also not an option for us.

However, now I really worry for the two pullets left. Especially by themselves and not staying close to the flock/rooster, they are going to be highly susceptible if that fox comes back. I'll keep the flock inside for a week to hopefully disuade the fox, but I'm sure he'll be back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If they would just stay close to the rest of the flock and my rooster they would/would have been so much safer! Any ideas on how to make them follow the flock?

The 12 week old pullets won't be accepted by your older hens until they are near point of lay. Due to their young age, your rooster isn't yet interested in them either. It was/is normal for the pullets to remain at a distance from the older hens until they are fully accepted as members of the flock. Unfortunately, now that the predator has been sucessful, it will continue to try to pick off your birds until possibly all are taken, including the adults. I'm sorry you lost the two.

Back
Top Bottom