PLEASE help, foxes!

Premier1supplies is a really good site, catalogs, and advice, both online and by phone. Their electric netting works very well.
There will be many times when your birds have to be locked in a safe coop and run, so work on a safe place for them during those times. Our flock gets to free range when possible, but are locked in over raptor visits, heavy snow, ground predators, and avian influenza.
Everyone loves chicken!
It's more effective to protect your birds, you can't ever eliminate all the predators.
Mary

Electric fence, there are some which are operated by car battery, and if it is too much hassle to build one, there are ready made electric fences ( we used to have the flexinet ?) we used it for sheep, but I think it’s also ok for chickens ( as long as they don’t fly over it) 😬
wont the foxes just dig under?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :(

Ya, killing all the wildlife that enjoys chicken dinner isn't really an option where I live.. nor would I wan't to do that.. plus.. permit required in MY location to shoot foxes.

Yes, one possibility is to use the "premier one" type electric fence with step in stakes.. it's move-able.. Or build a run that IS fox resistant and still allows your birds outdoor time. Baited E wire is effective! There are also rollers for the top of fences.. or like my run is fully enclosed.

The answer is NO you can't just kill them all (predators).. more will move in.

I see predators snooping at night.. and make sure my defenses are tight (layers).. they were here before myself and the chickens moved in.. SOME seasons.. I do have to go on lockup.. for a week or two.. usually due to hawks.. which are completely illegal to dispatch.. but long enough they know there's no more free meals here.. if they did get something previously.. But 2 scores in a row (at your place).. means they WILL be back, unfortunately.

Safe keeping! :fl
thanks!

Long term I recommend a predator proof coop so you can lock your chickens up and prevent anymore losses until the threat from foxes is removed.Short term I recommend free ranging your chickens a limited number of hrs a day inside electric poultry netting to keep foxes from killing them all ( they won't quit until they do).Sorry for your loss!

wont the foxes just dig under?
They learn to avoid it.
You bait the fence so they get shocked and they stay away. They teach other foxes to stay away.
I had to take my fence down and I need to wait for the ground to thaw before I can put it back up. I can see in the snow all the footprints of the foxes going round the fence that isn’t there!

You might want to simply make an area around their coop more predator-proof until such time as they move on and find another flock to terrorize. Electric fence, deer fence with a string of barbed wire along the top or avian netting over the whole thing. Then set animal traps around the outside in case they come around and then you don't have to go chasing as many down. Predator-proofing is your best bet. It's simply a problem this time of year when food has been scarce and they are looking for meals, so if you can build a stationery pen for them or add fencing or something around the coop until they move on, that's your best bet.

I had issue with foxes, one in particular was climbing over the 5ft fence and going on shopping spree. Even with me trying to scare it off, it was in kill mode and kept circling me in the run and climbing back in. Even after they run away they will be back as long as there is food.
I had to shoot it as it was far too aggressive and i have small children.
Given there are issues with hawks especially in the fall I built a new run with enclosed wire roof, and wire skirt around the bottom to prevent digging.
Now I dont have to worry about rushing home to close up the coop when its dark.
And if we are home in the yard then we will let them out to forage under our supervision.

Back
Top Bottom