Neighbour attracting foxes

This is exactly where I'm at. I don't like any of these options, last resorts even.

A fence is something I'm exploring but I can't justify thd cost. If it was a couple hundred $ sure, at least I tried. But I've neither the time nor money, it would cost over a grand and days of time

So if it's true that these foxes will soon be a much greater threat. What's the most effective way to get them? Plural

The last week the dogs have been wired. There's definitely more activity now, im wondering if it's a female with kits and one of their dens is very close

Shoot, trap, snare or poison?
Trying to shoot them will be a massive time sink and likely without much success and a ton of risks

Finding a den might be possible but I've never tracked a fox before so I'd consider any success would be a matter of chance

Traps and snares are going to be much more effective but assuming there's more than 1 what is the best approach? To me a targeted approach would mean Trying to get them all at once otherwise they'd become much more careful.

Could I reasonably expect to bait them to get a true number on how many there are and how to deal with them?

Can I assume that going into early winter they'll come after the chickens soon?

Poisoning is also a consideration in this case? Could that be the most effective way, or is it just not that easy?

I'm trying to be as responsible as possible. And I need more input before I make a plan
Poison would NOT be even on my list. It kills randomly. If his dog gets it, or your dog that would be a very sad thing.

Do you have a link to the law that requires that?

I have seen other states require a 6-month quarantine for a dog exposed to rabies (because rabies has a very long incubation period, and it takes that long to know if the dog actually got rabies.)

And I have seen 10-day quarantines for a dog that bites someone (because if the dog does not show symptoms in 10 days, it was not contagious at the time of the bite).

But a 10-day quarantine after possible exposure just does not make sense. It's not long enough to tell if the dog actually got rabies from the exposure.
https://dph.georgia.gov/document/pu...ies-manual-updated-april-2018/download#page49

You will have to read both links including the protocol diagrams to see that their is a protocol for dogs,livestock, etc coming in contact with wild animals.

Then, look at Code paragraph 31-19-1 (I believe that’s referenced on page 49 in the rabies manua)where each county is responsible for implementing how they will deal with rabies prevention. Most, under this law choose the 10 day initial quarantine to look for initial symptoms. Then the manual refers to a 45 day owner supervision with no off leash walks (that means outside time). You can read it. Enjoy.

https://dph.georgia.gov/document/pu...ies-manual-updated-april-2018/download#page49

You will have to read both links including the protocol diagrams to see that their is a protocol for dogs,livestock, etc coming in contact with wild animals.

Then, look at Code paragraph 31-19-1 (I believe that’s referenced on page 49 in the rabies manua)where each county is responsible for implementing how they will deal with rabies prevention. Most, under this law choose the 10 day initial quarantine to look for initial symptoms. Then the manual refers to a 45 day owner supervision with no off leash walks (that means outside time). You can read it. Enjoy.
Thanks!

In the big .pdf, I do think you are reading or interpreting part of it wrong.

A dog or cat that BITES a person is confined and observed for 10 days (page 18 of the .pdf, but the page says 17 at the bottom of it.) If the animal shows no signs of rabies, the manual does not call for anything else after that time.

A dog or cat that is possibly EXPOSED to rabies is on page 16 of the .pdf (page says 15 at the bottom.) That one is re-vaccinated and observed for 45 days (if it had a current vaccination.) Or if it was not vaccinated, it has "strict isolation" for 4 months, and is vaccinated during that time.

In either case, the animal is euthanized if it shows signs of rabies, or the owner can choose to have it euthanized at any point.

The definitions section backs up this distinction. They have specific definitions for two kinds of "confinement" (one for 10 days after biting a person, the other for 4 months after an unvaccinated animal was exposed to rabies), along with "observation" (45 days for a vaccinated animal that was exposed to rabites.) These are on pages 47 & 48 of the .pdf (page numbers 46 and 47 on the bottoms of the pages.)

Yes, I see the point in the code of Georgia. But if the counties are following what the .pdf says, they would not have the 10 day confinement (for biting a person) stacked with the 45 days of observation (for potential exposure to rabies.)

So any county that is doing what you describe is not actually reading their own state rabies control manual!

*I mentioned 4 months after being exposed to rabies. That is for dogs & cats. The manual says ferrets need 6 months instead of 4 months. Since the original discussion was about dogs, I figured the ferrets are not relevant here.

Turn in the neighbor. Fox are not pets. I don’t like “invisible fence”.. if your dog is attacked in his own yard he can’t get out. A local dog owner (not neighbor) lost her dog when something entered the yard and no one could get to the door to let it in. Horrifying.

I would most definitely turn them in to the authorities. It's just not right to be feeding wildlife like that to draw it in to where there are people and animals/pets. If they want to do that, they ought to move out to the country where they have no neighbors, and nobody cares what animals they are attracting.

I know you worry about being the "rat," but this is about responsibility, and they are not being very responsible. Their irresponsibility is fine until it infringes upon your or someone else's life, which it's done.

I may be interpreting it wrong. As you can see, there is code, and then there is county responsibility and action. Then take into account that the Rabies Manual also is also used by other state departments that have their additional guidelines as well. It was the Dept of Natural Resources that told me I would have to quarantine in a state approved kennel if my dogs came in contact with a fox. Then they gave me a 30 day permit to eliminate the fox that was approaching my house and dogs. We had a breeding pair of foxes that year that had two pups. I left them alone on the back side of my field. Then the male started to become bolder by approaching the house and dogs. It escalated to the point I had to take action.

This is a bit of a weird one and I'm not sure what to do

Sparing unnecessary details our neighbors refuse to stop feeding the foxes

Now I'm going to try and answer all the obvious questions in this space here.
The coop is literally bear proof. It's been tested, I know. There have not been any successful attacks since we got our LSG. Further to that, yes, and he is a natural, too good. I'll get to that in a minute. Yes I tried talking to them. Yes I called the ministry. No I did not choose to get them involved, yet, that is still very much an option. In my region we are going into winter. I live rurally. I do not want to kill any foxes.

Now. The situation is that the neighbors are attracting foxes to their house and my dog turned out to be an expert. He took to chasing away predators without even being trained. This leads him to the neighbors yard and their aggressive and perpetually tied up bigger dog. I do my absolute best to keep him in our yard. He is very responsive to recall commands. He is in no way interested in going outside the property. Unless there's a fox. Both dogs actually. LSG runs and the little one points and barks.

TLDR
Neighbors attract foxes
LSG does his job
Neighbour gets mad
Winter soon, foxes will become more of a problem
Ministry told me to give up his name and they'll investigate or I can shoot them, the foxes
1 Debating neutralizing the lot of them as they're dependant now
2 Debating giving him up and being labeled a rat in this small community. Won't do anything about the foxes
3 Left field alternative option, just saturating the area the foxes regularly come from with bear spray. May deter foxes, should stop LSG from trying to find them. Might aggravate chickens. Is perfectly legal. Still doesn't really solve the problem

What do?

And just to make it abundantly clear, my dog absolutely does not seek out their property for any reason at all. He's running off foxes. When he's called, he comes right back
Live trap and shoot the foxes. They will get the chickens eventually

This is a bit of a weird one and I'm not sure what to do

Sparing unnecessary details our neighbors refuse to stop feeding the foxes

Now I'm going to try and answer all the obvious questions in this space here.
The coop is literally bear proof. It's been tested, I know. There have not been any successful attacks since we got our LSG. Further to that, yes, and he is a natural, too good. I'll get to that in a minute. Yes I tried talking to them. Yes I called the ministry. No I did not choose to get them involved, yet, that is still very much an option. In my region we are going into winter. I live rurally. I do not want to kill any foxes.

Now. The situation is that the neighbors are attracting foxes to their house and my dog turned out to be an expert. He took to chasing away predators without even being trained. This leads him to the neighbors yard and their aggressive and perpetually tied up bigger dog. I do my absolute best to keep him in our yard. He is very responsive to recall commands. He is in no way interested in going outside the property. Unless there's a fox. Both dogs actually. LSG runs and the little one points and barks.

TLDR
Neighbors attract foxes
LSG does his job
Neighbour gets mad
Winter soon, foxes will become more of a problem
Ministry told me to give up his name and they'll investigate or I can shoot them, the foxes
1 Debating neutralizing the lot of them as they're dependant now
2 Debating giving him up and being labeled a rat in this small community. Won't do anything about the foxes
3 Left field alternative option, just saturating the area the foxes regularly come from with bear spray. May deter foxes, should stop LSG from trying to find them. Might aggravate chickens. Is perfectly legal. Still doesn't really solve the problem

What do?

And just to make it abundantly clear, my dog absolutely does not seek out their property for any reason at all. He's running off foxes. When he's called, he comes right back
You lost me at, " I do not want to kill any foxes."

Shoot them, use leg traps then dispatch them .... of just live with the issue.

Back
Top Bottom