Before I explode - stop me!

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
Many of you know by now how hard things are here for me to keep my head above water with two disabled boys and a disabled husband as well as two other grown up kids their partners and our grand baby girl.

We managed a while ago to finally get restbite care for one of the twins. So we were delighted that this was falling into place after so many years without a proper out of home care package. Things have been going well and Dan is settled and happy. He is always more vocal when he returns home and more communicative which is wonderful. Anyhow we really have needed these times that he is away for us to recover and wind down and recharge. All very important to us. So when the restbite centre felt the need to keep phoning us on the days Dan was with them for various reasons we put a little note in to say don't phone unless in an emergency. Mainly because I now reguard those days when Dan is not here as our days off. Like any other employment you don't expect to be contacted on your days off unless it is really urgent! ( And I felt the need to switch off of Dan !) So anyhow the restbite centre have been wonderful and have tried to accomodate us very much. They have given us extra days when they have cancillations so we can get better as we are really tired out and the pair of us have been unwell for months.
On Sunday they phoned and said did we want to have an extra night - which would mean putting Dan in the car and running him up to the town at the top of the penninsula and meeting the restbite bus as they come from the other side of the lough with another young person who happend to be going home. We naturally said yes! We did this as Dan normally gets lifted from the day care centre so we had to do the transport as it was the weekend - lucky for us the restbite Bus was comming up near a local town so we were able to hand over there.
Anyhow - I didn't think anything of it. I had kept Dans daycare bag seperate from his restbite bag so when the day care bus came Monday morning( it comes our way to pick up others as well) - although Dan was not here having been gone to the restbite on Sunday at least I could give the day care bus his day bag and weeks supply of dipers and all that kind of stuff. I said to the care assistant on the Bus - please remember not to phone us unless it is an emergency and explained I had done that with restbite too because these were our "days off!"

Fine until this morning. - A person I didn't know from the day care phoned up out of the blue and said they had changed their pollicy and we can no longer put Dans restbite case on the bus for the day care centre. She said it was because it had meds inside. Well I always make sure the meds are well wrapped up and I tell them so they can lock the case in the office at the day care. So I said well then I can leave his meds for the month with the Restbite centre and then you can still take his bag. - OHHH NO she said we are not taking bags because they can be used as a weapon>????

I am thinking hang on what about his day bag for the day care centre????? Wont that be just as much a weapon???? And what about the meds he brings to Day care??? Surely if they can get to these bags/ or meds in them and use them in that way there is an issues with level of suppervision????

Thing is now - if Dan isn't allowed to take his overnight case on the day care bus it causes a deal of problems for us!
- I can get him to the day care centre to be picked up by the restbite bus but he wont have any clothes or meds so they simply wont take him for overnight without them? Which is only right!
- Where we live it now means that Dan cannot attend day care on the day he goes into overnight restbite or the day he comes home simply because they wont take his bag. So he losses a day of day care everytime he goes to restbite if it is not on a weekend. Which is most of the time.
- it also means because we live on a penninsula we have to pay ferry fees or drive miles round the lough - that means extra fuel costs to take him over the other side of the lough and Ferry fees to the restbite centre
- Technically we are supposed to be having the DAY OFF! IT eats up our precious time and takes £12 return on the ferry everytime! So we have extra costs to pay just because they wont take a bag?
- It also means of course that my DH who is ill has to now drive all the way just to take the darn bag with Dan!!!!!
- usually Dan gets the adult day care bus spends the day at Day care and the restbite bus collects him with bag - he stays with them the other side of the lough and is returned to Day care by them with his bag on the day he has to come home so he spends the day as usual at day care then comes home to us down this side of the Lough on the day bus with his bags.
- Now everything is changed and we lose out on yet another service. More so Dan misses out too!
SO the knock on affect is now hubby has to do a lot of driving even though he is also disabled and on a lot of pain meds or I have to drive the way over! Even though it is supposed to be our restbite time>? Meaning we lose two days of restbite because we would have Dan until 2pm and pick him up at 2 pm when normally he would be in day care. We also get the extra costs of the ferry and fuel - and they say - this is helpful and restbite is supposed to relieve stress. - I am totally stresses and feel like I want to grab the idiot who cancelled the bag taking on the bus by the neck and squeeze !!!!!!
ep.gif
So I have been boiling away now for hours thinking I should go to the MP or the press or just find the horrible person and poke them in the eye a few times. Of course they just HAD TO OHONE ME ON MY DAY OFF DIDN'T THEY!!!!!!!!
he.gif

I am STRESSED - what to do??????
barnie.gif

Oes

Last edited:
It sounds like you have an unbelievable amount of things to juggle- all of which involve a lot of caring. Take a moment and breathe.

I do not know exactly how the respite care works, but it sounds like your arrangements are scheduled, and frequent. If you were able to take a suitcase to them with several changes of clothes and "duplicate" prescriptions would they be able to keep it and just sent Dan home with the clothes needing laundered from his time staying with them.

It would still mean you would have to drive his things there, but if you could give them enough for several stays then it wouldn't be so frequent and you could schedule it when it was more convenient for you?

This may not be the solution since I'm not sure I understand the problem. BUT I am sure you have figured out a lot of challenges over the years. I know the care facilities have made it more difficult for you, so vent here when you need to, get yourself feeling better, and then go into problem-solving-mode.

I wish you the best!
hugs.gif

How very frustrating for you. I'm so sorry that this is happening to you.
hugs.gif
You deserve some understanding. Please take a moment to breathe and relax as much as you are able to. I will be sending good thoughts your way, that there will be a solution found that affords you and your family the respite that you very much need.

I might suggest, if possible, scheduling a meeting with the director of either DayCare or Respite, whichever has instituted the no-extra-bag-policy. You'll wish to meet in-person, if at all possible, with the director, because you don't want to have to hear "no" from someone who hasn't got the power to say "yes."

I would open the meeting by giving. Give the director an opportunity, a chance to explain why the policy was implemented. Give your calm, quiet, receptive, undivided attention as he/she explains.

Next, I would bring balance to the meeting by taking-- taking the chance to explain calmly why the logistics of your situation means that this new policy creates a significant hardship for both adults with disabilities as well as your child with disability. I would generously remain calm in explaining... because there are a lot of important details that the director must listen to. We want this director to remain receptive and open, because you would wish to ask something of him/her.

Next, you could request that the director work with you around this new policy, to find ways that:

His/her bus monitors and transportation staff will remain safe, his company will remain free of undue risk, all while your family and your child get their needs met without excess stress and hassles which nullify much of the goals of your much-needed respite.

Really, I'd feel upset, too! My wish is that a solution can be found that resolves you and your hubby taking on added burdens, and yet satisfies whatever concerns the transportation supervisor may have regarding staff safety. I'll be praying that a solution can be found! I'm sending you good thoughts for today. May things go much more smoothly than you anticipate!
group_hug.gif

How very frustrating for you. I'm so sorry that this is happening to you.
hugs.gif
You deserve some understanding. Please take a moment to breathe and relax as much as you are able to. I will be sending good thoughts your way, that there will be a solution found that affords you and your family the respite that you very much need.

I might suggest, if possible, scheduling a meeting with the director of either DayCare or Respite, whichever has instituted the no-extra-bag-policy. You'll wish to meet in-person, if at all possible, with the director, because you don't want to have to hear "no" from someone who hasn't got the power to say "yes."

I would open the meeting by giving. Give the director an opportunity, a chance to explain why the policy was implemented. Give your calm, quiet, receptive, undivided attention as he/she explains.

Next, I would bring balance to the meeting by taking-- taking the chance to explain calmly why the logistics of your situation means that this new policy creates a significant hardship for both adults with disabilities as well as your child with disability. I would generously remain calm in explaining... because there are a lot of important details that the director must listen to. We want this director to remain receptive and open, because you would wish to ask something of him/her.

Next, you could request that the director work with you around this new policy, to find ways that:

His/her bus monitors and transportation staff will remain safe, his company will remain free of undue risk, all while your family and your child get their needs met without excess stress and hassles which nullify much of the goals of your much-needed respite.

Really, I'd feel upset, too! My wish is that a solution can be found that resolves you and your hubby taking on added burdens, and yet satisfies whatever concerns the transportation supervisor may have regarding staff safety. I'll be praying that a solution can be found! I'm sending you good thoughts for today. May things go much more smoothly than you anticipate!
group_hug.gif

Ohhh wow thanks for that. - I honestly was beside myself with rage at this new onslaught on us. We really have to fight for everything we get and sometimes they offer things that are unobtainable. They do this to frustrate I am certain. Like We were offered a Stair lift then denied it because DH is unsteady on his feet - which is why we needed the stair lift? If he was ok we would not need it???? We were offered a downstairs extention which is a great idea to accomodate disability and we were supposed to get a grant for it. Trouble is we would have to put all the downpayments out to Planning and arcutects and then we would have to project manage the whole thing on top of trying to look after two disabled folk in the house while all that is going on plus one son near by I simply couldn;t deal with the STRESS and certainly with a limited income since DH had to leave work can't be paying folk with funds I don;t have. Here we can get a disability car but a deal of them are out of reach for many folk who don't have an income because they often require a deposit that most disabled folk can't afford! The system here sucks becuase it all "looks like the government is helping" but in reality often the most vulnerable folk are excluded - like with winter fuel allowance - we can't get it because Dan is severely disabled and would never pay Tax either in the past or future so he is not elligable. Yet he belongs to the most vulnerable group of folk who suffer most from the cold. It gets a bit crazy at times. I don't like the government here or the way they treat the disabled. They wanted to test everyone on disability again which is crazy - I know they were thinking it would "save tax payers money" and weed out fraudsters etc. But to reasess someone like Dan and Ben who are already in the system and they know KNOW they have brain damage and that isn't going ot change because the brain does not regenerate itself. It will never "fix!" so why wast Tax payers money on assesments on folk like them that don't need it! They are by deffinition genuine. So I don't see the need to spend more money doing tests that are not needed???? They even phoned one day demanding to talk to Dan on the phone! How crazy he has a mental age of 18 months and although he is 25yrs he couldn't even understand how to hold a phone let alone have a conversation with anyone on it or off it for that matter. It is indeed frustrating how us parents are treated. It is like a punishment for having them. For daring to give birth to a child that isn't ever going to be a productive member of society. Yet I feel often so intensly angry that they have done all they can to fund premiture baby units knowing full well that there is a very high digree of disability among those children. They give us false hope and promises and then when it all goes badly they turf the baby off to the parents and basically say get on with it its damaged we don't want to know! - When we were promised health and social care FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE!
Now even the disability allowence we thought we had for life for the kids is questionable as now they say it isn't for life but only for three years until more assesments. ( Apparently they can backtrake on the promise because it was worded for an indefinate period not life long!) It is not like they are going to grow a new brain in that time??? Now as parents we no longer have the reasurance that our kids would be cared for when we are no longer here. At least before we were given a promise of life care now it is all lies.

Oes - we still fight for everything. - down to "please take my childs bag for me? It has his clothes and teddy in and his epilepsy meds! It is NOT A WEAPON!"
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the post.

Things are a little better in that we now have the bag - on the day care bus and they are taking it!!!!!!
They backed down when we threatened to take it further as we felt it was discriminatory against our son for his disabilities. Any normal young man of that age would never have been denied the right to have his own belongings and his own medications. I don;t think they thought we would go that far. But we are the only voice he has and so I guess we would have gone all the way to secure his right to equality. As they say there is only equality of opportunity when the opportunity for equality is in place.

I am away for a while from now having a much needed rest.

Taking Dh on a cruise so yes things might be a bit better for a while.

Oes

Back
Top Bottom