Beginner Breeds

Lilyrush

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Western Washington
Hi! Brand new here. Started diving into my chicken research this week. We will be building a coop here in the next few weeks once I feel more knowledgable and ready. I'm curious what the best hen breeds are for a first timer. I live in Western Washington so the heat here is pretty mild, definitely lots of rain though. I'm wanting Hens that will lay an average amount of eggs but that are also laid back enough to be pets (is that weird)? Just looking for some suggestions to help narrow down my research. Also, how many hens do I need to provide about a dozen eggs a week? Thanks!!!:D

Welcome!
frow.gif

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking of starting with a couple Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, and Barred Plymouth Rocks. What are your thoughts on having day old chicks shipped? I'm looking at mypetchicken.com. I have to place an order of at least 7 chicks which is 3 more then I was planning but I could probably sell the extra three. I would love to incubate and hatch my own but seems like there's a lot involved with it.

I ended up placing an order from mypetchicken.com. I'll be getting half a dozen Americaunas eggs in May (I couldn't resist trying to hatch some of my own with my kids! What an awesome learning experience.) And I'll be getting some one day old chicks, the kind I mentioned above, in June. That gives us time to build a coop and get everything ready. I can't believe I'm this excited...it is hilarious!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom