Beginner pigeon questions

Jazkabor

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Have no luck searching online for pigeon raising questions. :(

How many makes a happy pigeon? 1-5?
I want 1 pen/cage sometimes 2 no more (+ a hospital suite).. Is that ok for keeping a breeding pair?
What protein % do they need?
Do they all fly? Some look too fancy to fly.
Which birds are easy breeders, and can raise their own young, besides homers?
Can all breeds be trained to come to the feed whistle?
Can you recommend a link or book on basics?
I've heard tumblers, rollers, and homers are the easiest. I need a smaller sized pigeon breed and I can't find any weights listed. Are they all under a pound? We handle a parlor roller and it was a great size.

Thanks all so much! :)

I feed my white homers chicken egg laying pellets; Meat builder when they are with squabs.

There are as many feeding regiments as their are fanciers. That is what works for me with the least waste.

You are right some are too fancy to fly and those with real short beaks most times need foster parents to raise their young.

I am going to say all breeds can be trained to come to the feed whistle (even though I am not familiar with all breeds).

I basically raise white homers because they do all I ask of them.

I really can not advise you on too much else. I am an old time fancier with 63 trips around the sun and received most of my good judgment through bad judgment.

As far as I am concerned their is no other pigeon worth their salt out side of a good homer.

Any other advise or experience I would be happy to share with you at any time.

This feral blue bar trapped into my loft for want of food I am guessing and I evicted her.

Most of my pigeons are descended from snow white homers and should be all snow white in a perfect world.

This pair of pouters are the only other breed of pigeons in my loft. I use them as foster parents.

Last edited:
chicken laying pellets are fine feed 1 male 1 female is a pair that will be happy what size pen are you talking about you can train any pigeon to come to feed by makeiing a sound they can hear rattleing feed can whistle about size most pigeons are less than a pound why the weight limit parlors are great birds they can not fly after grounding at 4 to5 months of age they need a pen with a floor off the ground west of england tumblers are muffed and are easy to raise and tame ther are lots of pigeon breeds at there and every one has there favorite breed you just have to look around the national pigeon site npausa.com has info and links to study

Thanks! I don't seem to understand the pigeon site and how to navigate. I can not find any good breed or even general pigeon info. Thanks hokum I really appreciate your experience being shared!!!

The weight~ they are for a young child ready for a new poultry challenge, showmanship requires very competent handling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom