Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

I tried incubating last month for the very first time with a used incubator. No luck. Temp rose too much and ended up cooking the eggs
sad.png
Got a new bator that arrived last week and set the eggs on Friday. There are RIR mixes, Wyandottes, and EEs. It's holding steady between 99.5 and 100 with 50% humidity. I have really high hopes for this one
fl.gif

I have joined in on the Cinco de Mayo hatch-along for my first ever hatch! It also happens to be my birthday, so I am hoping out of the eggs I have set one of my keepers will be hatched on that day.

I have set eggs from a Rooster that is Ameraucana/Leghorn mix over Austra-white, Black sex-link, and red sex-link hens. Most of the eggs are from Austra-white hens and those will be the only chicks I will be keeping. Hoping to have enough to select for both Pea combs and black feathering but I am not quite sure I have enough set to select that specifically.

I have joined in on the Cinco de Mayo hatch-along for my first ever hatch! It also happens to be my birthday, so I am hoping out of the eggs I have set one of my keepers will be hatched on that day.

I have set eggs from a Rooster that is Ameraucana/Leghorn mix over Austra-white, Black sex-link, and red sex-link hens. Most of the eggs are from Austra-white hens and those will be the only chicks I will be keeping. Hoping to have enough to select for both Pea combs and black feathering but I am not quite sure I have enough set to select that specifically.
I've never heard of Austra-whites. Sounds like an interesting hatch!

If they hatch I believe they will be super chickens due to having to survive my mishandling and ignorance.

EXACTLY how I feel!

Hi, I'm Missy and I'm a 1st time incubator :) . I'm very excited about this process and have been researching for about a month. At this point I feel I have enough knowledge to be completely dangerous to my eggs! I have 2 granddaughters so I researched like crazy to narrow down the breeds and pinpoint the most docile and child-friendly. I've decided on LF Cochins and Silkies.

I was really unsure of shipped eggs so I located a local breeder and now have 42 LF Cochin eggs in the bator. The eggs are really porous and it's difficult to my untrained eyes to tell for sure what's going on. Yesterday was day 4 and I candled last night because I couldn't stand it anymore. I had really mixed results.

I have 3 that I could see the embryo and veining, 20 that look good but I couldn't make out the veins, pretty sure i have 5 with blood rings, 5 saddled, 3 I'm thinking are clear (gonna wait a few days to be sure), and 6 that I just have no idea about.

I hate not knowing...it drives me nuts! I'm making lots of notes though so that maybe next time I'll do a little better.

Good luck to everyone! Really glad I found this thread...now I don't feel so alone lol. :D

EXACTLY how I feel!

Hi, I'm Missy and I'm a 1st time incubator
smile.png
. I'm very excited about this process and have been researching for about a month. At this point I feel I have enough knowledge to be completely dangerous to my eggs! I have 2 granddaughters so I researched like crazy to narrow down the breeds and pinpoint the most docile and child-friendly. I've decided on LF Cochins and Silkies.

I was really unsure of shipped eggs so I located a local breeder and now have 42 LF Cochin eggs in the bator. The eggs are really porous and it's difficult to my untrained eyes to tell for sure what's going on. Yesterday was day 4 and I candled last night because I couldn't stand it anymore. I had really mixed results.

I have 3 that I could see the embryo and veining, 20 that look good but I couldn't make out the veins, pretty sure i have 5 with blood rings, 5 saddled, 3 I'm thinking are clear (gonna wait a few days to be sure), and 6 that I just have no idea about.

I hate not knowing...it drives me nuts! I'm making lots of notes though so that maybe next time I'll do a little better.

Good luck to everyone! Really glad I found this thread...now I don't feel so alone lol.
big_smile.png
Yea, I don't really trust shipped eggs! You picked great breeds for friendliness!! I hope your incubation goes good!!!

I'm kind of worried about my eggs! The humidity seems too low for day 19!
You can always add some sponges if you're worried. Remember it's surface area, not volume of water that adds humidity. Humidity isn't super important until they start pipping. Once they crack open the shell, they need the humidity of their environment so they don't dry out and get stuck.

Yea, I don't really trust shipped eggs! You picked great breeds for friendliness!! I hope your incubation goes good!!!

Thanks! Yes, the friendliness factor was the most important consideration for me. The grandchildren are young and I can't have a nasty roo chasing them lol

What is 'saddled'?  Is that where the air sac is wavy as you go around instead of a neat circle/oval?  I think almost all of mine are like that...

From all of the pics I've seen, yes. I'm a complete newbie though :/

Back
Top Bottom