Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

24 eggs turned into 15 because a rooster got into the eggs and broke them weener so now my incubator doesn't get here til friday. gotta store the eggs until it gets here.

When the schools hatch eggs here the local extension office hatches eggs at the same time just in case something happens to the classroom incubator they will still have little chicks hatching.  Not sure how they make the switch but something like that might work for you with your granddaughter.  Maybe check into chicks at a local feed store just in case.

Yeah...Hubby and I talked about it last night. If they don't hatch, we'll grab some chicks from the feed & seed - quickly! BUT I am not going to let that be my main train of thought...everything is going to work out fine and I'm going to hatch some beautiful, SQ Cochins! :D

Hi everyone! I want to join in here if I may. This is my first time incubating eggs, and I have a new Brinsea mini eco which seems to be working great, as far as holding temp and humidity. I set 10 shipped Serama eggs on Sunday, April 28 for a hopeful hatch day of around May 18. Due to loose air sacs, I let them sit in an egg carton fat end up for almost 24 hours, then kept 7 of them sitting up in the incubator in cut-apart egg carton cups. I would have done it for all 10 but there wasn't room for that many egg cups in that tiny incubator. The 3 that I just set in there level were the 3 that looked the least promising. 2 looked like totally clear eggs without air sacs, and the other one looked like if it had an air sac, it wasn't defined at all. I know Serama eggs are difficult, and shipped ones much more so, but I am praying I get at least 2 or 3 babies to hatch, and that at least 2 will be little girls. I only have one precious Serama hen and she needs company.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I want to join in here if I may. This is my first time incubating eggs, and I have a new Brinsea mini eco which seems to be working great, as far as holding temp and humidity. I set 10 shipped Serama eggs on Sunday, April 28 for a hopeful hatch day of around May 18. Due to loose air sacs, I let them sit in an egg carton fat end up for almost 24 hours, then kept 7 of them sitting up in the incubator in cut-apart egg carton cups. I would have done it for all 10 but there wasn't room for that many egg cups in that tiny incubator. The 3 that I just set in there level were the 3 that looked the least promising. 2 looked like totally clear eggs without air sacs, and the other one looked like if it had an air sac, it wasn't defined at all. I know Serama eggs are difficult, and shipped ones much more so, but I am praying I get at least 2 or 3 babies to hatch, and that at least 2 will be little girls. I only have one precious Serama hen and she needs company.
Serama's are beautiful! Hopefully you have good luck and they all hatch
wee.gif

34 eggs in the incubator
12 americauna, 13 black cochin 1 mut cochin and 8 back yard muts

I am sorta afraid i'm going to mess something up and nothing will hatch

so have i already messed up? nthe humidity was high like 65-70 i some how thought that it needed to be at 65but now know thts not until lock down. i took allt he eggs out removed the tray and dumped and put water in just one well and not even all that much. UGH i will die if i ruined these eggs

so have i already messed up? nthe humidity was high like 65-70 i some how thought that it needed to be at 65but now know thts not until lock down. i took allt he eggs out removed the tray and dumped and put water in just one well and not even all that much. UGH i will die if i ruined these eggs
That's what I always am telling myself!

it's lower this am but i think i am taking all water out and running dry it's so humid here that is jacking me up plus it got rainey afteri get humidity down then i'll add back slowly if i need to. i tried opening the vent and it made it MORE humid

Back
Top Bottom