Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

I just waited 5 months for my first baby Kid to come yesterday
smile.png
Chicks is no wait compared!! LOL
Yea, when you think about it, it isn't really that long of a wait!

I just waited 5 months for my first baby Kid to come yesterday
smile.png
Chicks is no wait compared!! LOL
i cant imagine how i will be when we breed my goat and have to wait for her to kid.. (shes just a baby herself right now)
i guess i can hatch chicks every 21 days to have something to do in between lol..
i was horrible about patience waiting the 9 months to have my own babies too. (proud mama of 5 big kidds now)

thats us lol we were told she would be ready to breed in nov...then as we pull out of the drive way with her the woman mentions OH she might already be pg she was housed with her brother.....ummmm.
ep.gif
That's not good! Usually goats don't come into estrus until at least 6 months old, but there are times when a randy boy will manage...really dangerous to the doeling though
hmm.png
I hope she isn't for her sake!

ep.gif
That's not good! Usually goats don't come into estrus until at least 6 months old, but there are times when a randy boy will manage...really dangerous to the doeling though
hmm.png
I hope she isn't for her sake!
shes about 5mo..weve only had her for a week but im thinking she just had a "cycle" this week after we got her and if so that means shes not pg but we will know for sure soon huh.

After the excitement of having my broody hen hatch out 5 chicks I got the "bug" and kept willing another of my hens to go broody, of course they don't listen to me so I just ordered a Hova-Bator and started collecting eggs I knew were fertile. Incubator should be here Monday and I should have a dozen + by the time I plug it in and test it for a couple days to make sure its holding the temp... SOOOO Exited!!!
I've got 2 australorps , one leghorn and one I'm not to sure of type that is covered by our Dominique... Not ready yet is the Auracana's... giving them a few more months as they are newbies to the whole egg laying business, he covers them and the eggs are fertile some of the time but still pretty tiny.

Mixed feelings today...

I have a broody hen (Americana) so bad that I broke down and got her 8 fertilized eggs - everyone says expect 50% of them to hatch. 7 hatched on Labor day! 1 died (or was killed by the hen for some reason - sickness?). 6 were left.

This morning we found a dead chick under the hen. Can't tell the reason. Stepped on or something else - but it doesn't look like it was purposeful from the hen. 5 left. Kids are very sad. Still 5 out of 8.

Here's hoping the rest are okay. I still have them with the hen. Should I take them to a brooder? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom