Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

I had two hatch normally on their own and had to assist two that were shrink wrapped. The third to hatch really struggled for the first week. Pasty butt, splay leg and droopy wing. It's now happy as a clam, running around with the other chicks, just a little smaller :)

I had two hatch normally on their own and had to assist two that were shrink wrapped. The third to hatch really struggled for the first week. Pasty butt, splay leg and droopy wing. It's now happy as a clam, running around with the other chicks, just a little smaller
smile.png

Great!!! It's so nice when the little, hurt ones turn out normal. All of the chicken like that are my instant favorites!

I had two hatch normally on their own and had to assist two that were shrink wrapped. The third to hatch really struggled for the first week. Pasty butt, splay leg and droopy wing. It's now happy as a clam, running around with the other chicks, just a little smaller
smile.png
Great!!! Glad to here you got some this time for the kiddos!!

smile.png
Did you use the band aid method for the splayed leg? I wasn't able to undo the splayed leg when one of my chicks had it.

Yeah I'm really amazed. It's full of life now
smile.png

Well you never gave us a head count. Out of 20 eggs you got how many? It sounded like 5. I had 42 eggs in a big styrofoam incubator I borrowed. At one week 4 were discarded as infertile, and 2 were questionable. So out of 34 or 36, 24 hatched. Of the 12 that did not most had reached full time and just not pipped. Of the 24, three died in the incubator,- one one tiny one after a week. So I'm told that 20 out of 36 was a good hatch. It is exciting to watch them hatch, poor little things flopping around in there and you can't do a thing to protect them from the stronger ones that trample them! I have just separated them into two tubs so they have more space. I can't help but wonder how much smarter my first must be that hatched in the summer and were outside investigating the world at day 2 or 3. I imagine these babies are suffering from stimuli deprivation in their crowded Rubbermaid tubs! Chickens ha! They are so adorable, little mutt crosses between EEs, Marans, BOs and Dominiques.- :)

Well you never gave us a head count. Out of 20 eggs you got how many? It sounded like 5. I had 42 eggs in a big styrofoam incubator I borrowed. At one week 4 were discarded as infertile, and 2 were questionable. So out of 34 or 36, 24 hatched. Of the 12 that did not most had reached full time and just not pipped. Of the 24, three died in the incubator,- one one tiny one after a week. So I'm told that 20 out of 36 was a good hatch. It is exciting to watch them hatch, poor little things flopping around in there and you can't do a thing to protect them from the stronger ones that trample them! I have just separated them into two tubs so they have more space. I can't help but wonder how much smarter my first must be that hatched in the summer and were outside investigating the world at day 2 or 3. I imagine these babies are suffering from stimuli deprivation in their crowded Rubbermaid tubs! Chickens ha! They are so adorable, little mutt crosses between EEs, Marans, BOs and Dominiques.- :)

Nice hatch!!! Yea, I'd rather be a spring chick than a winter one!!! :)

This was my first hatch ever! So far (as of an hour ago) we have 2 of 7 eggs hatched!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...t=pcb.592417747494140&type=1&relevant_count=3

These are from my mixed flock: Jean Claude, our Salmon Faverolle roo over many different breeds of hens. I am pretty sure one of these 2 is a pure Salmon Faverolle (we have a very cute hen named Amelie). This has been so much fun! Can't wait to hatch more!

Back
Top Bottom