Belgian d’Uccle increasing signs of illness

For bad mite infestations using ivermectin can be really helpful. It's hard to dust birds everywhere (especially their heads) and many mites just come to feed on birds at night as you saw, but treating with ivermectin should kill anything that feeds on the birds.

In your last photos, it looks like she still has mites on her which can make her feel very bad.
Thanks for that link it was very detailed, I didn't realise I should've been massaging in an upwards motion.

Rest assured the black specks in the latest photos are just dirt sticking to the paraffin oil which I did rub off but probably should've done a better job. Her ears look the same as our other d'Uccle's - nice and smooth and white now, whereas before they were yellow and crusty with a bit of discharge and she was shaking her head a lot, which thankfully isn't neurological in nature like I was initially dreading. There's no more head shaking now.

I went out with a torch last night and scoured absolutely everything and only found 2 mites on the frame of their chicken house. I also rubbed a sheet of paper on the underside of their roosting perches and didn't find a thing so I'm feeling pretty happy about the mite situation.

It didn't seem like she was drinking much so I've been tearing up little bits of lettuce mixed with coconut oil and canned tuna then adding water with the Cocciopprol, probiotics and electrolytes.

Now in the mornings and afternoons she's behaving as she normally would and is out happily foraging, but during the day she's still taking intermittent naps and still seems tired. Would this be typical behavior for a chicken recovering from a bacterial/viral infection or Coccidiosis?

Now in the mornings and afternoons she's behaving as she normally would and is out happily foraging, but during the day she's still taking intermittent naps and still seems tired. Would this be typical behavior for a chicken recovering from a bacterial/viral infection or Coccidiosis?
You know your bird's behavior patterns better than anyone. I have some that are up and moving all day long, while others may lounge at certain times of the day...I watch my chickens and make mental notes of each one's little quirks, so hopefully I can catch something early if anything is a bit off. I know it may be hard to observer them closely throughout the day, but Chicken TV is worth it:)

Having a heavy parasite load can make them not feel well.
You've treated for Coccidiosis but did add vitamins to the water during treatment? If you did, then you may want to get a fecal float to see if there's an overload.
You've also dewormed and have or are treating for fungal infection (Sour Crop?).

Chickens can often bounce back quickly, some that are weaker or that have a chronic issue may take longer. I'd focus on her eating her normal feed, check her crop and keep tabs on the mites. See how she does over the next few days.

Just a quick update: She’s back to her usual cheerful self. Looks like it was roundworm, though I can’t help think maybe it compromised her immune system as it doesn’t explain the head shaking or infected ears. She’s clearly had digestive issues in the last week though and maybe that’s why her crop has felt impacted, I don’t know. I’ve treated the whole flock a 2nd time for worms since the first dose just over 2 weeks ago and will be sure to do so every 6 months. She lost 20-25 grams over the last 2 weeks but appears to have put on 10 grams in the last couple days. Thanks for all the very helpful posts, we really appreciate it.

Attachments

• roundworm1.jpg
    roundworm1.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 4
  • roundworm2.jpg
    roundworm2.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 4
Just a quick update: She’s back to her usual cheerful self. Looks like it was roundworm, though I can’t help think maybe it compromised her immune system as it doesn’t explain the head shaking or infected ears. She’s clearly had digestive issues in the last week though and maybe that’s why her crop has felt impacted, I don’t know. I’ve treated the whole flock a 2nd time for worms since the first dose just over 2 weeks ago and will be sure to do so every 6 months. She lost 20-25 grams over the last 2 weeks but appears to have put on 10 grams in the last couple days. Thanks for all the very helpful posts, we really appreciate it.
The photo of the poop is current?

Re-check your instructions for your dewormer to make sure you are giving the correct dosing. Levamisole is a good dewormer, but watch to make sure your birds are drinking the mixed water really well.

Getting a follow up fecal float a month after treatment would be a good idea to see if you need to deworm more frequently than every 6 months.

Head shaking and ear infection was very likely from the heavy mite infestation. Mites can cause all sorts of problems.
Digestive issues and crop problems can be due to a heavy worm infestation. Seeing worms in the poop, she had an overload.
Hopefully all will go better for her now. I'm glad she's doing better!
Keep us posted on how she's getting along.

Yes, it’s from yesterday. I was scared that maybe she didn’t drink enough when I mixed it in with their water the first time so I’ve given it to her neat with a syringe at 0.8ml which apparently is safe, but I was concerned about getting liquid in her lungs though I’m not sure just how risky that is. I figure if our vet instructed us to give antibiotics orally to our Silkie that died then it must be pretty safe? We followed this guide: https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/02/06/how-to-safely-give-oral-medications/.

We’re going to ask our Vet if they can do a faecal float test just in case something else besides worms are detected but we’ll do as you’ve suggested and ask for another one in a month (assuming they do them). I’ve been diligently checking their droppings the last few days and besides hers the other chickens look normal.

Yes, it’s from yesterday. I was scared that maybe she didn’t drink enough when I mixed it in with their water the first time so I’ve given it to her neat with a syringe at 0.8ml which apparently is safe, but I was concerned about getting liquid in her lungs though I’m not sure just how risky that is. I figure if our vet instructed us to give antibiotics orally to our Silkie that died then it must be pretty safe? We followed this guide: https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/02/06/how-to-safely-give-oral-medications/.

We’re going to ask our Vet if they can do a faecal float test just in case something else besides worms are detected but we’ll do as you’ve suggested and ask for another one in a month (assuming they do them). I’ve been diligently checking their droppings the last few days and besides hers the other chickens look normal.
That's a good tutorial about giving oral meds.

Keep us posted on what you find out from the vet.

Back
Top Bottom