Chicken Spitting Up / Soft Eggs

black5wann

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2023
Orlando, FL
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Chicken, we think she is about 4-5 years old. She's always been pretty light, not sure of exact weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Sabrina has been having soft egg issues for the past few months. She has been having issues laying and lays a soft egg every couple of weeks or so (with no regular eggs in between). We kind of chalked this up to her being older as this is our first time keeping chickens...Sometimes these eggs are more rubbery/squished than an actual soft egg without a shell. Last night she was acting a bit off, maybe seeming like she needed to pass a soft egg, so we brought her inside the house to keep her warm and quiet. She did pass a soft egg in the night along with small pieces of poop. It wasn't completely passed and was hanging from vent, but I managed to gently coax the rest of it out with soft pulling as she pumped. This has happened before. After that, she seemed more alert, but what was strange is that she was SO thirsty. She keeps chugging water and after 30 seconds or so, she'll spit out the water. It comes out mostly clear (only once did it have some food stuff in it) and it does not smell. She isn't lethargic but she isn't totally herself either. She is pecking around inside the bathroom and ate scrambled eggs with gusto. After she ate, she immediately sat down, seeming like she is trying to pass something... So we left her in the dark for a bit.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Soft egg issues for a few months, but this water chugging/slight lethargy since last night.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Sabrina's sister is also laying soft eggs from time to time, but no other alarming symptoms

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
nope

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
n/a

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She was pecking around the yard yesterday like normal up until early evening. Since we've isolated her she's been drinking A LOT of water, we've since switched to electrolyte water. Just fed her a bit of scrambled eggs. I only let her drink a little water at a time now otherwise she'll start moving and spit up a bunch of it.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Overnight the poop looks OK, a bit less than usual, lots of urates. After passing the soft egg, she did have 2 nice healthy poops, one with a bit of egg yolk residue in it, but last poop seemed healthy. Not much poop in general but she hasn't been eating much.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
We've isolated her in a bathroom inside the house. We figured we'd leave her in the dark to see if she continues passing any more soft egg.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We don't have a poultry vet in our area so we are hoping to figure it out ourselves to help our Sabrina girl.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Just posting a pic of her latest poop and how she was sitting right after she ate her scrambled eggs...

We are not sure if the continued soft/deformed egg laying is due to an underlying issue or her just getting older... Aside from soft eggs, she previously didn't display any concerning symptoms. She's usually a beast and forages around the yard, dust bathing, sunning, etc. Top of pecking order. She's never had this chugging water and spewing it back up. Her crop doesn't feel impacted, perhaps a bit squishy? The water that she spews out doesn't smell foul. We tried to look down her throat and don't see anything alarming. Could it be worms? She doesn't really gape, but my husband said he could hear some very slight gurgling noises right after drinking... not totally sure it wasn't anything very apparent.

Should we try deworming her and the flock? What do you think? We love Sabrina so much and want to help her get back to her spunky self. Sorry this is so wordy, just trying to share as much info as we can. I appreciate any help and advice. We have posted about her in the past, but the water spewing is the new symptom which is alarming us.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry to see that Sabrina is having troubles again so soon. You had a thread about her back in November.

Are you still giving Extra Calcium (Calcium Citrate) or ?

It seems like her production issue is probably Chronic and will continue to reoccur.

Her drinking a lot of water and her crop being squishy, I'd address that symptom according to the article below.

Often a crop that is not emptying or is slow accompanies reproductive disorders. Crop problems can also be related to infection, worms and/or Coccidiosis among other things.

If you haven't dewormed, you may want to consider doing that just to see if it makes a difference. Ideally, getting a fecal float is best, but often vet care is not available.

Are you in the U.S., it's not in your profile?
If so, then for deworming you can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer (Fenbendazole) to deworm. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

OR You can use Valbazen (Albendazole), dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

If you aren't in the U.S. let me know what country you are in and I may be able to make a suggestion for deworming.

Do you have photos of the eggs she does expel?

Leaving her in the dark is o.k., but if she's able to be outside with her flock, she may be a bit happier. If the hopes of leaving her in the dark is to stop production, then she will need to be in total darkness for 16 hours a day for a few weeks.

If you are just keeping her separated out to monitor her for a day or so, then provide her with food/water and a normal day/night cycle if possible.

Crop treatments:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you so much for your reply. We are indeed in the US (we'll update our profile with that).

We are still giving her the calcium citrate, not daily but semi regularly. We separated her for now just to monitor her poop and such. We were thinking of keeping her in the dark because it seemed like she was trying to pass something else, but nothing since this morning. It is always sad to see her in the bathroom because she definitely seems like she misses her friends... we'll monitor some more and possibly move her to a fenced off area in the run so she'll be near her crew.

We don't have a picture of the egg unfortunately, but they often seem like the shell and membrane are a bit rubbery, and the yolk and whites are never inside the shell, they come out separately. Not sure if that makes sense. We'll be sure to take a pic next time it happens...

Thank you for listing the dosage for the de-wormers. We do have a Tractor Supply nearby that does carry the ones you listed. Can we give that via water?

We really appreciate your thoughtful response!

We don't have a picture of the egg unfortunately, but they often seem like the shell and membrane are a bit rubbery, and the yolk and whites are never inside the shell, they come out separately. Not sure if that makes sense. We'll be sure to take a pic next time it happens...
Thank you for listing the dosage for the de-wormers. We do have a Tractor Supply nearby that does carry the ones you listed. Can we give that via water?
Yes, that does make sense. If the membrane is coming out separate/broken followed by whites and yolk, then I'd also consider giving her an antibiotic to help with any infection.

Amoxicillin is a good choice if you can find it. There's a shortage, especially the one for fish. You can still find it in powder form which may work for reproductive infection. An alternative, but much stronger antibiotic is Baytril. It's not approved for use in poultry and there's no info about how long egg withdrawals should be for that antibiotic. Since she's not producing, then it may not be that big of a deal for you - do some reading/research to determine if antibiotics are the way you want to go. (links to the products below)

You can find Safeguard at TSC. The paste or liquid settles out of water and it is dosed by weight, so it's best to give it orally to ensure she's getting the correct amount. Some folks put the paste or liquid on a piece of bread and give it that way, you can try. My hen give me the stink eye if something is gooping up their treat/bread and simply refuse.

Here's a good way to give oral medication if you haven't seen this. Takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, you don't forget and you can easily dose a chicken quickly. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/amoxicillin-10-powder-generic
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

We just completed 5 days of deworming using safeguard. Not sure if made a difference of not yet with Sabrina.

Yesterday she laid another weird egg - was hanging from vent and I had to gently help her coax it out. Took a pic this time.

This morning she’s doing the water thing again. She drinks tons of water and then pecks around and it occasionally just spurts out of her mouth as she pecks.

Maybe she just has an underlying illness? :( she’s behaving fairly normally other than that. She seems a little less interested in pellet feed but is still active and foraging.

Attachments

• 8CD90C4C-7285-429C-B836-0186C0538B31.jpeg
    8CD90C4C-7285-429C-B836-0186C0538B31.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Salpingitis and she’ll gland problems are usually the reason for continued thin shells, and passing membranes, and egg products when calcium deficiency is not the problem. Those are very common in hens and can be chronic and life-shortening.

Ok I was thinking it could be related to something like Salpingitis, but I thought the eggs didn't really look like images of "lash" eggs I have seen. As far as antibiotic treatments, do you recommend anything specific to help with that or the potential infections that can occur from the internal yolk residue?

Is it best just to keep them as healthy as possible and hope they live as happily as they can since it is chronic?

I'd start her back on Calcium Daily for 3-5 days to see if that helps her expel membranes.

Unfortunately, most of these reproductive problems are chronic. Often the best you can do is try to manage symptoms as they arise.

Back
Top Bottom