Possible Egg Bound / Soft Egg Situation - Need Guidance

black5wann

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2023
Orlando, FL
1) Bird was adopted from a neighbor so not sure of specifics, possibly Rhode island white, about 4 years old, potentially lighter than other chickens we have, but she is top of the pecking order and always eats a lot
2) The past couple of months she’s had issues with soft eggs. We chalked it up to her getting older and slowing down her laying? This is the first time we’ve kept chickens and we’ve had them for about 2 years (we got them from our neighbor when they moved away). Yesterday afternoon we noticed she was away from the flock and seemed like she was trying to pass a soft egg. Her vent area looked swollen. We gave her a few Epsom baths and separated her in our bathroom overnight. In the morning to our surprise we see she laid a beautiful egg, along with some egg white goo. She had soft poops in the morning. She ate a bit of scrambled eggs and mushy watered feed, but she hasn’t been drinking a whole lot. She is still swollen and seems like she is still trying to pass something. Haven't seen poop since initial egg / excrement this morning. She has eaten since then. She keeps going into a corner and seems like she's straining, neck withdrawn, eyes sometimes closed, vent pulsing.
3) Little less than 48 hours.
4) No - no other birds are exhibiting these symptoms.
5) Signs of other trauma - Not that I am aware of. I was feeling her keel during the bath and it felt quite a bit more prominent than I remember, but she always had a bit of a bony keel. I also noticed it almost felt crooked, not sure if this has always been this way - but I would assume so.
6) Cause - Not sure - I don't think there was anything specific externally that caused it. As I alluded too she has had some trouble passing soft eggs over the past few months, but usually she gets them out after some time. Sometimes we've done epsom baths before and then she was able to pass it. This time it is lasting longer than usual and is odd because it was a regular hard egg in the morning, and yet she still seems to be trying to pass something else.
7) I have been providing layer feed with added calcium supplement mixed with water. She is still eating with some gusto, but not quite as much as usual. She isn't drinking much, but there was water mixed in with the feed.
8) The poop before and after the egg was passed was quite runny and looked like it could have been mixed with a shell-less egg. The next poop was still liquidy, but much more solid and normal looking.
9) Treatments I have done: Epsom salt baths, Vaseline rubbed around vent. I also inserted gloved finger with Vaseline into vent up to first knuckle. I thought everything was fine after she laid that egg this morning, but she still is crouched and looks like she's trying to pass something. She is now quite sensitive about touching the vent area and slightly swollen area beneath the vent.
10 ) I would like to try and treat myself. I am afraid it could be a fatal condition such as salpingitis from my research. Would like guidance if there is some alternative diagnosis or treatment.
11) I will post picture of vent area tomorrow morning.
12) Usually pine shavings in the coop outside, but we now have her isolated inside in the bathroom, with a little nesting box with towels.

I see, I will look into the chicken birth control - not familiar with this topic. Would she still be egg bound after laying an egg? I guess there could be a potential soft egg behind the hard egg she laid? Would there be another treatment to get her through this current situation besides what I am doing?

Welcome to BYC!

Everything you're doing is great. Keep up the epsom salt baths.
Just one thing, what calcium are you using? Its best to use calcium citrate +D3 tablets with at least 600mg of calcium for issues like this.
She may be having trouble with a shell less egg, or a normal egg.
Make sure to keep her hydrated, and eating.

I just got the 600mg Calcium + vitamin D3 today (I did have just calcium before by mistake). I dissolved one tablet in water and poured it onto a small bit of her regular feed and she ate a lot of it up --- probably didn't end up being a full tablet, but definitely got a bit. I am going to try this again in the morning.

Thank you for the welcome and information, it is good to know at least I am on the right track in the treatment. I will keep at it and let you know what happens or if conditions change.

I just got the 600mg Calcium + vitamin D3 today (I did have just calcium before by mistake). I dissolved one tablet in water and poured it onto a small bit of her regular feed and she ate a lot of it up --- probably didn't end up being a full tablet, but definitely got a bit. I am going to try this again in the morning.
Oh good! To make it easier on you, and so she gets all the calcium, just pop the tablet right into her mouth. Don't worry about it being too big and her choking, she can swallow it with no problem.
Thank you for the welcome and information, it is good to know at least I am on the right track in the treatment. I will keep at it and let you know what happens or if conditions change.
Sounds good! I hope she pulls through.

Oh good! To make it easier on you, and so she gets all the calcium, just pop the tablet right into her mouth. Don't worry about it being too big and her choking, she can swallow it with no problem.

Sounds good! I hope she pulls through.
Ahhh okay - thanks for this advice, I will try that first thing in the morning.

The past couple of months she’s had issues with soft eggs.

Yesterday afternoon we noticed she was away from the flock and seemed like she was trying to pass a soft egg. Her vent area looked swollen. We gave her a few Epsom baths and separated her in our bathroom overnight. In the morning to our surprise we see she laid a beautiful egg, along with some egg white goo.

She is still swollen and seems like she is still trying to pass something.
I dissolved one tablet in water and poured it onto a small bit of her regular feed and she ate a lot of it up --- probably didn't end up being a full tablet,
Give her one 600mg tablet Calcium Citrate with D3 daily for a week. Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
Sounds like she's having trouble expelling another egg, hopefully that will happen soon.

Egg binding can be a one time thing, but it could become a chronic issue. Time will tell.

See that she has a nutritionally balanced feed and oyster shells free choice.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

She is probably egg bound, but it seems like she will become egg bound again without birth control.

This sometimes happens to chickens that lay lots of eggs.
You need to put her on chicken birth control. That fixes issues with laying.
Birth Control? Do you mean implants?
That's not the solution for a hen that is struggling to lay an egg. It might be a short term solution for a hen that is having reproductive problems like Peritonitis, Internal Laying, etc. The goal would be to stop ovulation, but it's not always successful, but it can buy a hen several months of life. Implants are not perfect and some hens respond adversely to them, some do well. Implants are expensive, have to be repeated every few months and most vets are not willing to give implants (at least in the U.S.). Sadly, hens still die even with intervention and implants.

Back
Top Bottom