IMG_1723.jpeg

The yellow poop indicates a possible reproductive infection. This hen should ideally be on an antibiotic. Yes, I understand how difficult it will be to obtain one. But herbals probably won't help much.

Now that the US government has cracked down on sales of all antibiotics, including the fish meds we all have been relying on to treat infection in our chickens, the first thing we must do is to befriend a vet closest to us. Start by asking a close friend with a dog or cat which vet they use and if they like the vet. Ask around until you find a good recommendation.

Next step is to go into that office and have a friendly chat. Explain you have chickens and will require their services occasionally to procure an antibiotic for you so that you can treat your chicken. You also will need a simple fecal float test occasionally when you suspect parasites, but that you will assume all responsibility for treatment.

This is necessary to assure the vet, because most do not treat poultry, that they need not concern themselves with treatment. This is what I did early on many years ago when I began my flock. I had a vet who treated my cat, and he would occasionally sell me an antibiotic for a sick chicken, and also has done fecal tests for me.

I suggest you do this immediately. It may be too late to save this chicken, but you will have established a relationship with a vet for next time you need antibiotics. As I said, we all must do this now that we can no longer order these meds online. Herbal remedies will only do so much. I doubt they could help in this late stage with your hen. But next time, you will have a source to obtain an antibiotic quickly and will not have to watch your sick chicken die. Because unless we all have a vet in our pocket, that's exactly what we will be doing.

Back
Top Bottom