Best Bedding for Ducklings?

mtcougar832

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Northwest Montana
Hi again!

I have 5 indian runners (should be ~1 wk old Wed.) and I'm trying to find a good bedding. I currently have them on newspaper (just laid out not shredded) and one was eating it. Should I try shavings? I just thought I'd roll up the paper and toss it - I'd hate for my .... darling ... 2 1/2 yo to throw the shavings onto the floor.

Thanks all!

Amy

I talked to pc today...
lol.png
...only cuz i keep mentioning him... and he says... pine shavings bad...they'll eat it and die...use straw.

I have mine on newspaper right now as well.

I find that dasie mats work great! Cut them to fit the bottom of the brooder then place a towel on one end and water and food on the other real easy to clean works wonderful

I keep them on puppy training pads for the first day or so, then move them to shavings. That way they learn to eat feed before moving onto the shavings, and the pads give them decent traction so I avoid spraddle-leg. To date, I've had no problems with them eating shavings.

Webfoot

LMAO @ Just rolling it up and throwing it away!

I've done 1/2 dz different watering tricks trying to keep it dry in there. No good... have to scoop and wash with every bedding change (every 2 days) and a scoop with some fresh on top in between days. I'm lucky I can do that... it used to be twice a day everyday when I had 2 in the brooder!
gig.gif

I use pine shavings.... but not the tiny bits so she won't eat it. Our local farm supply store sells shavings in 3 different sizes.... Fine, Medium and large. Medium is perfect for the coop and the brooder.

You're in for a mess!
idunno.gif

I never thought about just adding shavings - you really only have to clean every other day? I don't mind the mess - cleaning up after the ducks is nothing compared to my kids!

Quote:
I wasn't able to figure out what this is?

Back
Top Bottom