best bird greens ???

mowgli457

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
hello all . I was wondering if anyone can tell me what your chickens like as far as greens go? heads of romaine ? chicory ?? a few time I have seen mention of cabbage here in some posts ?? I have parrots and I know the darker the green the better it is for them , mygirls seem love everything but i am looking for something to also take them awhile to enjoy ? corn this summer was by far the fav ever. I hung ears from string , hid them in yard, put into suet baskets . so I was hoping to find something equally as yummy for them ??

My chickens love heads of cabbage and lettuce. They will peck at them off and on all day. And I know its not green, but my girls love it when I give them a pumpkin to destroy. And its very good for them. My chickens were scared of it at first. They all gathered around and stared at it. I cut a few holes in it and finally Fidget, my barred rock and bravest chicken gave it a peck. Then the riot was on.

and what a time for pumpkins !!! thanks ill try it. I have goats and 9 dogs and 11 parrots ! I love being outside in my very secluded yard with everyone together , everyone gets along wonderfully ! my girls = chickens think they are parrots some days and dogs on others ! I love them !!! I did a pomegranate tonight and they all went crazy I cut 2 of them in 1/2 first it was like AH YA WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO W THIS ? and then my lil silkie comes barging thru and plucks out the first layer of seeds ! they went crazy pecking n pulling at it, grabbing pieces and running away to eat in peace , every last morsel was devoured . just sucks that poms are so short seasoned .

I'm gonna try pumpkins again this yr...only I'm gonna start with a small one unlike last year's big one. I say this because they didn't seem to care much for the one I gave them last yr. They were young then...oh, about 6-7 mos. Hopefully, now that they're older, they'll like it this time around.

They love lettuce (which I put in a suet basket...they like romaine and butter lettuce), but don't really bother with the broccoli I put in there. They'll pick at it some, but that's about it (a few do like the heads though). Since they're in a run (and have to be, as I'm not allowed to let them free range), I give them grass clippings and dandelions. They love beans too...like green beans and peas and such.

I've not tried cabbage yet, so I'm gonna give it a try and see how they like that. Haven't tried sprouts yet either...another thing I'm wanting to give a try.

I was gifted with a large amount of mustard greens today. I put some up for my family and I saved some for my girls. They went crazy for them! I'm gonna add them to my garden next year.

Back
Top Bottom