3clucks

Chirping
Jul 11, 2018
Central Florida
Hi, I have this show quality light Brahma breeding project that I have been breeding and selling the offspring, but I have recently decided that instead of just selling the whole batch I want to pick out a few females to replace some of mine that are getting older and won’t be showing much longer. So I have kept this batch longer than any of the previous ones to see if I could tell which ones would be better. They are around 2 months old now, there is 12 and they are very large and I am running out of space so I have to start decreasing my numbers.
At this age since they aren’t fully mature, what should I be looking for to find the best ones to keep?

Hi, I have this show quality light Brahma breeding project that I have been breeding and selling the offspring, but I have recently decided that instead of just selling the whole batch I want to pick out a few females to replace some of mine that are getting older and won’t be showing much longer. So I have kept this batch longer than any of the previous ones to see if I could tell which ones would be better. They are around 2 months old now, there is 12 and they are very large and I am running out of space so I have to start decreasing my numbers.
At this age since they aren’t fully mature, what should I be looking for to find the best ones to keep?
Could you post pictures? That would be easier than trying to tell you everything to look for.

You want to look at their shape the thicker fuller look. You want them to hold themselves how you would see in nice pictures (the high typical look of the breed) you want the ones with the best most appropriate feather patterns and for brahmas you want the nice clean full feathered feet over the scraggly looking ones. If you post pictures we could help you decide and get to see your pretty girls ;)

E891CF70-3A62-4660-843E-FD4041D776B1.jpeg

This is all I have right now...I will add better ones later.

Attachments

• 99B73A03-A0DD-4340-8F34-4C5F5FF590B4.jpeg
    99B73A03-A0DD-4340-8F34-4C5F5FF590B4.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 11
About the only thing you can do at such a young age is cull for major defects. Vulture hocks, non-feathered middle toes, crooked keel bones, skull to long or narrow, comb defects, slipped wing, to high tail, wry tail. I wouldn't cull for color/pattern as of now as they can change a lot after a couple molts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom