best brand of layer feed

I use Buckeye and like it a lot.

I have used ADM Feed some time ago it wasn't bad if I remember right ADM was the joining of 5 feed companies.
(Master Mix, MoorMan's, Consolidated Nutrition, SuperSweet and Tindle Feeds)

Chris

Last edited:
We use Blue Seal also, but i see a coupon for Agway also local here $7.77 for a 50# bag of Layer mash or pellets. i was thinking of jumping on it. At least a couple of bags, then go back to Blue Seal.
In the beginning I bought TSC brand, only b/c that's where I bought 6 of my chickies. Then decided it was rediculous to drive 12 miles, when I had a Blue Seal right in town, A mile away....

Melinda

I use Green Mountain Organic Feeds, and love it. My girls get to free range for a few hours before roosting time, when the dog and I are home and can keep the foxes and coyotes away (lost my 2 lovely red sex-links and 1 white leghorn to a hungry critter - all they left were piles of feathers, and a trail of an occasional feather through the woods).
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

We eat mostly organic food, and are fortunate to live in a state where there is an abundance of locally grown really healthy food. The hens also get a lot of our fresh organic leftovers.

The organic pellets are the mainstay (along with people food leftovers and hot oatmeal/yogurt many mornings) in the winters, but in spring - summer - fall, they don't need nearly as much.

I buy my feed from a local hardware/farm store - not sure who distributes for them, or if they buy directly from Green Mountain. Here's Green Mountain's phone number:

Green Mountain Feeds
Bethel, VT 05032
802-234-6278

I forgot! I also have used Buckeye, but the feedstore where I can buy it is too expensive. And though Buckeye makes a pullet grower feed, the feedstore doesn't carry it.
hmm.png
Buckeye seems like good layer feed, though. It's 18% protein in the pellets and 16% in the crumble, I believe.

Quote:
There Layer Breeder is a 18% protein and there Pullet Grower & Developer is a Crumbles and it is a 15% protein...
Im lucky here in North East Ohio I think every feed mill has Buckeye feed and the Buckeyes main mill is in Dalton Ohio and that is about 20 mile away...

Chris

I'd love to get that pullet grower/developer that Buckeye makes for the 12 weeks to laying age time frame. No one has grower here at all. The closest is the Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner, which is a game bird grower feed for six weeks to laying age.

It's funny, but the layer crumble that they get from Buckeye is 16% and the pellets are 18%. The real hole in the system for all the feeds here is they have only starter/grower, but no plain grower.

Hi guy's. What is Dumor feed/TSC Dumor???? I am ready to start my almost laying girls on layer feed & I am researching different options. I live in the greater Pacific NW Washington state.

I feed mine Nutrena Hearty Hen, it has more protein than their regular layer pellets, but both are good. They have a Country Hen line and NatureWise line, I was feeding NatureWise layer pellets till I found the Hearty Hen.

Right now they are on Purina Flock Raiser though with oyster shell on the side because most of them are not laying right now.

When they pick up laying again I will return to the Hearty Hen

Back
Top Bottom