Best breed for backyard coop?

When we lived in town we had some golden comets that seemed very well suited for that life style. Quiet, didn't mind being confined most of the time, and only made a fuss when we came home from work in the evening, or they needed something. Had a barred rock and a black sex link in with them, and all six of those birds never made themselves known to the neighbors really. In the summer, they would rush to the end of the run to meet us when we got home from work because they knew the rutine...I would gather eggs then, get the water filled and check feed, and my wife would almost always find them a treat. On very nice days, I would let them out to run the yard till dark.

Now we live in the county with a couple different flocks...our Rocks (barred and penciled), the boys do the crowin', but the girls are quiet as can be. The Buff Brahmas (bantams) are pretty quiet all around...the roo crows a few times in the AM, but that's it. The only "noisy" hens I've ever had realy have been polish...and one of my daughters Serama hens...loved her, but she squawked constantly! Serama's a a quiet breed...but she must have not been told that. Anyway...that's my experience.

faverolles are very cute and very very quiet. The boys aren't though they are noisy. The bantams are really tiny though so the eggs are too. Sounds like a good bird for you would be some Large Fowl faverolle hens. I would get Large Fowl so that you will get descent sized eggs. The bantams are good layers too, their eggs are just small.

Oh yea, one more thing. I saw you were considering Orpingtons. I have Orpingtons, EEs, faverolles and Ameraucanas. I just wanted to let you know my Orpingtons are my loudest girls. I have a blue Orpington, a Splash Orpington and 2 Buffs. The blue and Splash aren't that bad but, the Buffs are loud.

Oh yea, one more thing. I saw you were considering Orpingtons. I have Orpingtons, EEs, faverolles and Ameraucanas. I just wanted to let you know my Orpingtons are my loudest girls. I have a blue Orpington, a Splash Orpington and 2 Buffs. The blue and Splash aren't that bad but, the Buffs are loud.

Everyone knows that when you add Splash and blue Orpingtons in a flock of Buff Orpingtons they will constantly complain, they are trying to let you know that you have deeply offended them with their new counterparts attire
Really how could you?
lau.gif
What buff is not you color?
wink.png

Paul, Just kidding around with yaaa!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
http://Wow my first chickens came as the cutest fluff balls. I simply could not wait for them to make chicken noise. 5 years later and I still love waking to them. My rooster just died he was 7 years old I can't believe how much I miss his crowing. Such a big noise for a small bird every morning he made sure I was not late to feed his girls. Anyway I have a question I am in AZ it gets down in the 20's here at night. I heat the coop with a light. Will the light throw them in to a hard moult. Last year 8 of them were almost bald. I was told it was from the light. I use a misting system during the summer. I don't want this to happen again any suggestions

I also live in Arizona and last winter it got down well under 20 degrees. I didn't provide any source of heat for my birds and they lived pretty much in the open without much shelter. My advice is to let your chickens go through the winter naturally. It doesn't typically get so cold around Arizona that it's dangerous for chickens. They are pretty tuff and will suprise you with their cold hardiness. I've never lost a bird to the cold but I did notice that a couple of my semi-feral birds had a little frostbite on the tips of their combs. I know my brother in law lost a few feral birds in the same night in New Mexico but his birds are smaller almost bantam sized and they were completely unprotected roosting in trees with no leaves. I have lost birds in the summer from the heat though. I think the mister must be nice. The birds I've lost in summer have typically been fluffy or heavily feathered birds like cochins and for some reason a lot of roosters?

I also live in Arizona and last winter it got down well under 20 degrees. I didn't provide any source of heat for my birds and they lived pretty much in the open without much shelter. My advice is to let your chickens go through the winter naturally. It doesn't typically get so cold around Arizona that it's dangerous for chickens. They are pretty tuff and will suprise you with their cold hardiness. I've never lost a bird to the cold but I did notice that a couple of my semi-feral birds had a little frostbite on the tips of their combs. I know my brother in law lost a few feral birds in the same night in New Mexico but his birds are smaller almost bantam sized and they were completely unprotected roosting in trees with no leaves. I have lost birds in the summer from the heat though. I think the mister must be nice. The birds I've lost in summer have typically been fluffy or heavily feathered birds like cochins and for some reason a lot of roosters?

welcome-byc.gif

I have a white leghorn that is quiet and a great layer!! Lays white eggs. I also have a sexlink that has been great!! Also make sure you always have feed out for them or scraps because I notice that when mine are out of food and/or scraps they make lots of noise to tell me they're not happy! good luck!

The buckye,buff wyandotte,rhode island red,and the turken would be good choices.......................................................................................................................................................
thumbsup.gif

australorps are the sweetest! mine is named lolo, she barely ever makes a peep, verrrry docile. Orps would be another good one but i think mine's volume control is broken so you might have a issue with noise. rhode island reds are sweet too.

Back
Top Bottom