Best breeds for a purpose.

KM2H

Songster
May 24, 2021
Happy weekend, everyone!
I'm coming to you all so I can hear your thoughts. I want to keep a flock of about 20 to 22 chickens two roosters included in this mix. My main goal is to have heritage breeds in a vast majority, that lay good and that I occasionally hatch some for meat and /or renew the flock for a few years to come. I have 3 pure breed roosters but only keeping two. I will present you with the list of breeds for hens and roosters bellow. Which ones would you keep for best dual purpose? Any other good rooster breed I should consider instead of what I currently have?
*Roosters:
-Delaware
-French Black Copper Maran
-Black Jersey

*Hens: (some of these breeds I have more than one, so what I'm looking for here is priority when it comes to egg laying abilities which when mixed with a good rooster can provide a good dual purpose mutt.)
-California Whites
-Bielefelder
-Black Australorp
-Buff Orpington
-RIR
-Red Blue laced Wyandotte
-Lavender Ameraucana
-Lavender Orpington
-Speckled Sussex
-New Hampshire Red
-Welbar
-White Rock
-Black Jersey Giant
-Delaware
-English Orpington

Thank you all so much for the advice.

Happy weekend, everyone!
I'm coming to you all so I can hear your thoughts. I want to keep a flock of about 20 to 22 chickens two roosters included in this mix. My main goal is to have heritage breeds in a vast majority, that lay good and that I occasionally hatch some for meat and /or renew the flock for a few years to come. I have 3 pure breed roosters but only keeping two. I will present you with the list of breeds for hens and roosters bellow. Which ones would you keep for best dual purpose? Any other good rooster breed I should consider instead of what I currently have?
*Roosters:
-Delaware
-Black Jersey

*Hens: (some of these breeds I have more than one, so what I'm looking for here is priority when it comes to egg laying abilities which when mixed with a good rooster can provide a good dual purpose mutt.)
-California Whites
-Bielefelder
-Black Australorp
-Buff Orpington
-RIR
-Red Blue laced Wyandotte
-Lavender Ameraucana
-Lavender Orpington
-Speckled Sussex
-New Hampshire Red
-Welbar
-White Rock
-Black Jersey Giant
-Delaware
-English Orpington

Thank you all so much for the advice.
This is an interesting thread on the topic you might find helpful.

And here's a post taking climate into consideration with links to a chart.

Please post your location in your avatar.

Decide if you want good foragers, like Rhode Island Red, and limit your list. Decide if you want flighty, busy birds, or more docile, calm birds. There are lists of how many eggs each breed lays. Leghorns top all egg laying lists.

Back
Top Bottom