Best chicken reference book?

chickndays

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Any recommendations on a good chicken general reference book to have on hand?
Something that contains all the common do's, don't, ailments, chick to hen development, etc. (Prefer one available on Thriftbooks)

I checked out a couple dozen chicken books from the library in the first few years I had chooks...none of them were worth buying(glad I didn't waste the money).
I did buy Gail Damerow's Chicken Health and Harvey Ussery's Small Scale Poultry.
Have hardly glanced at them since the first read, both contain some not so great info.

Really though, I've found BYC to be all I need. Getting more perspectives and localized tips...beats any book.
Ditto Dat!

BYC is the most comprehensive source for answers to all your poultry questions. You can do a search on any subject, and find a wealth of information, personal experiences, what works and what doesn’t. You can start a thread with your questions and get support and advice. There’s no book that can compare!

BYC is the most comprehensive source for answers to all your poultry questions. You can do a search on any subject, and find a wealth of information, personal experiences, what works and what doesn’t. You can start a thread with your questions and get support and advice. There’s no book that can compare!
It is a great resource, I agree. I prefer books when possible also, especially in the event of a burning chicken question and lack of internet access or just having five minutes to flip through it and research.

I've read dozens of chicken books. I like Chickens in Your Backyard by Rick Luttman and Gail Luttman best.

Well, actually, I like a 1950's college textbook on poultry best.

I'm not sure either of them are what you are looking for. The Luttman's book has the basics but might not be as comprehensive as you want. It is more comprehensive than most. The textbook is, of course, out of date; a good thing in many ways, not so much in other ways.

Last edited:
I agree that there is a wealth of knowledge on BYC. and members have literally helped me save the lives of some of my birds. But, I am a former newspaper editor who LOVES her books -- they are available to me 24/7, even during power outages our here in the middle of nowhere.

I have about a dozen chicken books. With my first flock, I relied heavily on Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom