Best Chickens Breeds

I have 2 buff orps, a Black Australorp (the sweetest), and a GL Wyandotte. They are all sweet, but my little Australorp is always lying down or dust bathing; she seems so cuddly. My bigger buff orp steps on her and she lets out a squawk!

It seems that now is the time for someone to tell you that you'll need a minimum of 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop, and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run, a 1 sq. ft. per bird of ventilation in the coop! I thought I'd just get it over with. Less space invites disease and behavior problems.

Good luck! Keep us in the loop!

Faverolles are feather-footed; not good in rain & mud, especially if it's cold. I got my first Buff Orpington chick about 2 mos. ago, and of all my chicks she's the calmest, most docile, most curious. Re: Silkies: I've had a number of them, all sweet, and kids love them, BUT they cannot get wet, as they have no water-resistant feathers. If they get wet, they lose their body heat. In general, avoid large combs, feathered feet, and light bodies. You need good cold-hardy and "rain resistant" breeds in N.Y.. Happy shopping!

Wyandottes are not that tame, I have 4 and 2 RIRs, my reds can be picked up any time without a fight. RIRs are very bossy but like people. They know when I get home from work and will make as much noise as they can until I bring them a treat!

sounds great!
(I second twnedt's comment about Wyandottes. Mine was very standoffish. I have read several others say the same.)

Just wanted to weigh in here. My cuddliest bird, by far, is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. She loves to be held or sit on my shoulder so she can whisper sweet nothings in my ear (and then poop on my shirt :rolleyes:). If I sit down, she jumps up in my lap. If I bend over, she hops on my back. She's been doing these things since she grew big enough to flutter out of the brooder. She was the same way with some friends of mine when they came over to visit. Not even a little bit skittish.

I have a second GLW and she has recently started asking to be picked up as well. I also have three Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and they aren't nearly as friendly, though one will let me pick her up on occasion. My Gold Laced, though, really are super sweet.

I also have an Easter Egger that will follow me EVERYWHERE if I let her and chatters at me non-stop. She goes back and forth on whether she likes being held or not, I suspect largely because she hates to be still. While not nearly as cuddly, she is super friendly and full of character. Such a fun bird to have around!:love

My girls are about 11-12 weeks old now.

Tonight one of my silver laced Wyandotte’s hopped up on the arm of my chair then onto my arm where she snuggled down chatting. I’ve had her since March but this is the first time she’s ever done this. She’s the one that squatted earlier. It was terrific. I’m trying to learn to talk chicken and she didn’t seem to be offended by anything I had to say. :)

I live in NY, so I’d say a hardy bird. Eggs aren't a necessity, though they are nice, but my neighbors have small kids who visit a lot so I’m leaning more towards docile and sweet/friendly.
I live in NY as well.....and a new chick mom. I got 2 black lorps and a barred rock!the lorps are great but I LOVE the barred rock! So sweet and friendly..loves to sit on my arm. I got them from a local homestead and they are hardy for our climate....highly recommend. Going back this weekend to get a few Easter Eggers!!

I have had black australorp, blue andalusian, cochin, buff brahams, barnevelder, sultans, silkies, Wyandotte and deleware plus some bantams, all are friendly to me or anyone with a feed container! some of my birds fly out of the fenced in area and others don't. I am in the snow belt area and all these breeds are doing fine in summer and winter. They will come in the house if you let them. My best egg layers are the black australorp and blue Andalusian.

My Easter Eggers are not very friendly. They used to chase my kitten and once jumped up on my teenage daughter who was holding the kitten. I their defense that kitten used to run at them when they sat at the back door glass. :eek: Besides that they are standoffish. I also have White Leghorns that are not friendly, but have never chased a cat. (the roosters were aggressive) I also have one Black Australorp left. They are very calm birds. I have had Light Sussex and they were also nice. The roosters were also calm.

I've had all of these (well, Light rather than Buff Brahmas) at one time or other and had good experiences with all. One thing to consider with the Brahmas (and possibly the Faverolles) is that they may go broody. If you don't have a rooster, of course the eggs won't be fertile. So you'd need to get fertile "foster" eggs. But if you don't want to raise chicks at all, it can be hard to break a naturally broody hen and I've read that it can also be stressful on her, either to try to break her or just to let her set in vain for several weeks until she gives up. So if you don't want a broody breed, I might consider replacing the Brahmas and Faverolles with something else. There are some "issues" with certain ornamental breeds. I love the Polish but some breeds in a mixed flock may pull the feathers from their crests. I love Cochins but they cannot handle mud and wet well, especially freezing, with their heavily feathered feet. I never tried them and I think they are beautiful, but I read that Sebrights are highly susceptible to Marek's and can be difficult to raise in general. And a lot of these ornamental breeds aren't the most adept at getting away from predators.

That all depends on your location (environmental factors for breed selection) and what you are looking for in a chicken (lots of eggs, sweet and friendly, small and cute, more natural).
If you want them more for kids get the frizzle Bantam they are cuddly yet hardy enough for a child to handle :)

Back
Top Bottom