Best Coop Bedding??

What is the best bedding for coop floors?

• Wood Shavings

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Pine Shavings

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Aspen Shavings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Hay

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Straw

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Pea Gravel

• Pine Straw

• Wood Pellets

• Shredded Newspaper

• Total voters
Do you use a mix of whatever leaves are raked and put to the curb or do you use a certain type of leaf???
Whatever I find at the curb.

I don't use pine needles though. (And a lot of bags are pine needles.) You can usually tell from looking at the trees on the property. Also the needles feel different than leaves when you press on the bags.

One other factor. HEAVY bags of leaves means wet leaves. You can tell. If I get wet leaves, they go right into the compost pile. I don't want wet leaves in the coop.

You use this method in the coop? The run? Or both places?

Leaves in the coop.

In the run I put wild grasses. I go to the greenway and cut a bagful of wild grass and wild alfalfa. I do this several times per week. The chickens eat the grass heads, and sometimes the stems if they are still fresh, and they LOVE the alfalfa -- especially the flowers. Then the stems that are left leave a nice mat on the ground of the chicken run.

When I rake out the leaves from the coop, I also rake up the stems in the run, and then put down a new layer to start the cycle again.

All the rakings (leaves from the coop, and stems from the run) also contain all the poops, and the whole pile gets added to the compost pile.

Thanks i might try the leaves in the coop idea its free and the neighbors do the work and all you have to do is stock up on bags of leaves. My grandma has a TON of leaves every fall ill try it!

Let me add one caution to storing bags of leaves.

Today's yard bags are made with corn starch so that they decompose (slowly, but at least they no longer linger in landfills for 100 years like bags from 25 years ago.) Sun rays enhance the breakdown, so if there is some way to put them out of the sun, they won't break down so easily. I'm 9 months into last year's collection. The bags are getting brittle, even in a shady, protected area behind my garage. If I try to pick up a bag with one hand now, it is likely to rip. It's not a huge problem, but just be aware of it.

Let me add one caution to storing bags of leaves.

Today's yard bags are made with corn starch so that they decompose (slowly, but at least they no longer linger in landfills for 100 years like bags from 25 years ago.) Sun rays enhance the breakdown, so if there is some way to put them out of the sun, they won't break down so easily. I'm 9 months into last year's collection. The bags are getting brittle, even in a shady, protected area behind my garage. If I try to pick up a bag with one hand now, it is likely to rip. It's not a huge problem, but just be aware of it.
WOW! I didn't know that, about the corn starch in the bags lol but thanks for the info!!

I've been using straw. It seems to be the least expensive option for me. I used shavings when they were in the brooder in the house, and they liked to try to eat them so I didn't care for that very much. The floor of the coop is dirt, but they knock straw down on it and I leave it for a while until I clean out the coop and put fresh in.

Back
Top Bottom