Best dog breed around chickens? UPDATE post #117 Thanks all!

I would only trust little dogs, like chihuahuas, or other small breeds around my bantams. Big dogs......no way.

I agree that it's the dog, not the breed that makes a good chicken dog. I have a boston terrier that avoids the chickens all together and wont make eye contact. I also have a Basset hound who is currious and likes to "play" with the chickens. He's never hurt them but he likes to catch them and chew their feathers. He also goes up the ramp and into the coop. I also have a chihuahua. All he wants to do is smell their butts. My father-in-law's dog, who lives here on our property, has killed two and injured one. He is a chow-golden retriever mix. If it runs he's after it!

Quote:
Yup, the pyrenese has definitely been on our radar, but we heard so much about their wandering off that we're reluctant to go there. It's interesting to hear that the females are less likely to wander off. They sure are beautiful dogs.

Quote:
I would never, in a million years, consider bringing a chow anywhere near my family. I vet teched for a number of years and my experiences with chows are not pleasant memories. If you love chows, that's great - they are simply not for me.

My DH had a irish wolfhound growing up and tells the greatest stories about her. They also had chickens and he said she was great with them and never bother with them. She did steal the turkey on thanksgiving one year and was also a counter surfer, but thats a different story. I always liked the Bernese mountain dog. From what I read great with kids and livestock. Good protectors. Was going to rescue one but they would have taken up to much real estate in the house. With 6 people we can't give up to much. When the kids are gone I'm getting one. Any of the herding dogs would be good too. Good outside, want to move things not eat them. When I lost my Shelby in Nov I started to look at Border collies, but went to the humane society to adopt instead.

I currently have 7 dogs (1 is a foster). Most of them are Pit Bulls or Pit Bull Mixes. That being said, amazingly none of the Pit Bulls would go after the chickens (while I'm watching). We also have a small Shih Tzu which is fine with the chickens of course. We have Weimaraners that would kill them in a second though. If you get a puppy (8 weeks) and raise them around the chickens - I bet you could go with any breed. If you want to pick a specific breed I recommend a Great Pyrenees or Anatolian Shepherd... or a cross of them. My dogs were all adults when they met chickens - but they are well balanced, calm dogs (most days). Good Luck!!

Quote:
I would never, in a million years, consider bringing a chow anywhere near my family. I vet teched for a number of years and my experiences with chows are not pleasant memories. If you love chows, that's great - they are simply not for me.

I've noticed that a lot of people feel this way, but I've known a lot of Chow mixes throughout my life and they were all good dogs. Some were "harder" than others, but none were unstable/crazy/mean/bad. They are the kind of dog that requires a strong, almost god-like alpha/leader. It's a full time job, but the return on investment is totally worth it.
They are guard dogs and still have an aloof, working personaltiy. They like their "personal space" and that's why they don't do well with young kids.

They are NOT the kind of dog that you can just throw in with the family and expect them to mesh, that's where people mess up raising one.

Quote:
And why they don't do well with vet technicians!!!!!!!!! The only animal who ever sent me in for stitches was a chow who needed stitches. Ha Ha Ha. It's good somebody out there loves 'em. I have a special place in my heart for pit bulls, so I know exactly where you are coming from loving a difficult and often mis-represented breed.

Hi! This is my very first post. I am a long time reader and first time poster. This is my two very favorite subjects. Dogs and chickens! I have 3 Golden Retrievers who are wonderful around my chickens. I owned the dogs for years before I got the chickens. I brought the chickens home told the dogs "No, No." They have never messed with them. The chickens free range all day and the dogs just nap. I have to admit most people can't believe they act this way. The mailman, the U.P.S. man, and the meter reader always stop to look at them. My dogs will be laying in the yard and the chickens will be walking around on their backs.

Back
Top Bottom