Best dog breed around chickens? UPDATE post #117 Thanks all!

Isn't the great Pyrenees flock dogs? I would go with them. I had a pit bull...trust me that did not work well. He was a pup and still...I can only tell you of my experience with him. I am sure some would do ok. The only drawback with a great Pyrenees might be they are too large for the home.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyrenees

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, I bet he was a very interesting looking dog. I can't quite picture what that combo would be
roll.png
Sounds like a very special fellow.

He was a very big dog,built like a tank, easily over 150 pounds, looked more like a rottie, but his nose was shaped like a danes. He was more longer legged than a rottie too. He was a very special guy. He once saved a little girl. While she was walking in the grass, a water moccasin was right in front of her, but she couldnt see it. But Gator knew, he came tearing out from under the bushes, ran out and front of her and stood their growling and his hair standing up. The snake was the gotten rid of. He was a great guy, I will always remember that big ol' dog....

Last edited:
Anatolian Shepherds are bred to guard. If you start them as a puppy around the chickens, they will protect them forever! Our Anatolian Mix is constantly on the lookout for predators; it is her job. She sits around all day just patrolling the yard.
frow.gif

Getting a dog from the shelter is also a wonderful idea. If you raise them with your chickens, they should get along fine, no matter what breed.
smile.png

Quote:
with the great pyrnees they are bred to be out side w/ their flock at all time . they do not have to be kept inside and most prefer to live outside. they a hardy to very cold coditions and most will not even sleep in a dog house untill temps reach below -30.
thumbsup.gif
very nice if you dont have alot of indoor space. my friend in the mountains keeps goats he has larg dogloos for them to sleep in, his dog has been known to sleep out side his house under 2 feet of snow. he just stands up shakes off the snow when he's called for his morning kibble

Quote:
Yeah, the Anatolian Shepherd has come up a few times in this thread (neither my husband nor I had ever heard of them before) and we have looked into them quite a bit since. I think you are the first person to respond who actually has one so that is good to hear that it is working for you. What is your dog a mix with? We have found a few breeders selling Anatolian/Great Pyrenees crosses. I am very interested in this mix. I can't, however, find an Anatolian breeder anywhere even remotely near us (Montana) and I can not stand the thought of having a puppy shipped. Where did you find your dog?

Back
Top Bottom