Best dog breed around chickens? UPDATE post #117 Thanks all!

They are so cute. My mastiffs really suprised me. They were 2 1/2yrs old when we got the chickens so I though they would be a problem. They have killed 3 cats and a hawk that they caught trying to get in the coop but when a couple of the girls got out they sat with them. They even guard the coop against "strangers" when we have friends over.

Quote:
Woohoo! Way to go Mastiffs!

You should have seen them take down that hawk! It was perched on the top rail of the horse pen staring at the chickens and they snuck up behind it and lept up and grabbed it. Kind of a flanking manuver. They were crouched like a stalking cat and really concentrating. Feathers everywhere. I was really worried about their reactions to the chickens and rabbits when we got them but they have been great. They chase all the wild rabbits out here but have never tried to get in the cages with ours and even thought they could easily get through the chicken wire they have never tried. I did have to put a lock on the collection bin on the roll out nest box. They LOVE eggs and figured out how to open it.

My daughter and her new best friend.

46473_kelby_and_the_beast_2.jpg

What?? No one mentioned Maremma Sheep dog??

I am a vet tech as well & in my opinion & experience the Anatolian shepherds are great guardians, but very unpredictable around strangers. (they guard their humans too)

Maremma's are lovely

Yeah, I agree with DaughterofEve: our sweet dog is mutt from the pound (hound-lab?) who will go crazy chasing squirrels, deer, birds, etc., but sees the chickens as part of the family. primarily as doggy-treat-makers, of course.
roll.png

I perfer Dobermanns. Our Boxer will kill all my birds and my Irish Terrier will go and look for a chicken burger
roll.png
Briggitta (Dober.) loves to hunt, but will listen. She has hunted chickens before but if you say "Leave!" she completely forgets about it.
Every dog has his/hers own personality. Some will be the best of friends while others little devils. Briggitta is a 1/8 mutt.

Quote:
Oh they were mentioned back there somewhere by an owner who LOVES their Maremma. They sound awesome and we looked into them, but where in the world does a person find a Maremma to buy?! There were fewer Maremma breeders out there than there were Anatolian Shepherds breeders, and that was pretty slim pickings.

Back
Top Bottom