Best duck breed for me?

reecemorgan

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2015
United States,Kentucky
Hi everyone! So this might be long, but I really wanted to ask this. I have a flock of chickens (two silkies, a sultan, buff brahma, and black australorp) and was wanting to add two ducks to the flock. I've already done a ton of research on duck care and requirements and such- but I was struggling on figuring out which duck was right for me. My "requirements" are: 1. the duck should be more on the quiet side. 2. should bear confinement well (I only let my chickens out of their large run when i'm outside supervising) and 3. Be rather docile and friendly

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides muscovies?

For your criteria I would suggest an American Pekin duck. If you live here in Europe however, Pekins are a different breed and the Aylesbury would be our equivalent of the American Pekin.

These are the big, traditional white farm duck. They are dual purpose (eggs & meat) and are friendly. They are not as loud as other ducks, but if you desire a silent yard then don't get ducks!

Laying ducks: Khaki, Indian Runner, Welsh Harlequin
Broody ducks: muscovy, call, mallard
Tame ducks: call, muscovy, Pekin/Aylesbury, Saxony
Quiet ducks: muscovy
Loud ducks: call, mallard
Meat ducks: Pekin/Aylesbury, muscovy, Rouen

Welsh Harlequin are typically quiet and friendly - though if you only raise a few ducks, and spend a lot of time with them, they should be reasonably friendly.

Sound isn't a huge issue, I just don't want it to be constantly overbearing. Thanks so much for the suggestions! Pekins seem like a good fit, but I've heard they're pretty loud. I suppose it just depends on the particular duck.

Hi everyone! So this might be long, but I really wanted to ask this. I have a flock of chickens (two silkies, a sultan, buff brahma, and black australorp) and was wanting to add two ducks to the flock. I've already done a ton of research on duck care and requirements and such- but I was struggling on figuring out which duck was right for me. My "requirements" are: 1. the duck should be more on the quiet side. 2. should bear confinement well (I only let my chickens out of their large run when i'm outside supervising) and 3. Be rather docile and friendly

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides muscovies?
Chickens are cruel, so make sure the ducks are the same size are bigger or the chickens will peck there feathers out.

Back
Top Bottom