Best Duck Names

JoMWy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 9, 2012
Indy
While reading a different thread where someone suggested a name for a duck, I had a thought. I love great names for pets - especially ducks. So, let's hear some of your favorite names. Include pics if it helps support the name choice (or just to share more pics).
frow.gif

I'll start. This is Shrek - so named because he is a giant! The first pic is a close-up. He (? not sure of sex yet) will be 2 months old on the 29th.

The second pic (for a size ref.) is my sis playing with our gaggle. Shrek is at her feet.

Last edited:

These are my two, the one on the left developed a very definite loud quack early on and so I had a while to think of a name, she's called Bella. I had originally thought of Bertha, Martha but she is so elegant and a little highly strung I felt she needed a very 'lady like' name.
The one on the right I'm still not 100% sure on gender but he/she is so cheeky and brave, always into everything, I called her Minkie figured this would fit whether boy or girl and it suits her cheeky nature.

Shrek looks to be a pekin mix with that size! Nice. If it is 2 months you should know sex by now, does it QUACK! or whisper/mumble a waaa waaa? Girls quack, boys rasp quietly.

As for names I have Rocky, my cayuga drake my son named, Sketchy, pekin duck so named because she was always pretty sketchy about everything, Bitey (I still can't figure out why my 4 year old son named her that) my rouen duck, and Barnie and Betty, the two cayuga pekin mix babies at 2 months old. Barnie and Betty were named after flinstones characters to honor Barnie's mother Fred (my favorite duck) that met a very tragic end.

Last edited:
Flinstone names, I love it!!!! :) I have always been a fan of Curly, Larry, and Mo. :)

My ducks were named by Kindergarten students...

The 1st 2 ducklings who hatched earned their names... and their reputation... Braveheart and Jailbird. At less than 24 hours old, these two little repeat offenders made there first of several escapes from our classroom duck baby pool (filled with shavings) where they lived after they left the incubator. When my class and I left for lunch that 1st day, the 2 ducklings FLEW THE COOP and tried to follow us to lunch. Their grand plan was foiled though my a nearby pre-K teacher who heard then peeping loudly as they waddled down the school hallway. :) Given their daring and sociable personalities, as well as their resistance to "the pin," we fondly named them Braveheart and Jailbird.

The 3rd duckling to hatch was named Patito: This means "duck" in Spanish. Patito "hatched" during Spanish class.

From left: Braveheart, Jailbird, and Patito

Kids do pick out some of the more interesting of names. Shrek must be a boy then. To me he sounds like a squeaky toy. It's funny given his size.

My ducks were named by Kindergarten students...

The 1st 2 ducklings who hatched earned their names... and their reputation... Braveheart and Jailbird. At less than 24 hours old, these two little repeat offenders made there first of several escapes from our classroom duck baby pool (filled with shavings) where they lived after they left the incubator. When my class and I left for lunch that 1st day, the 2 ducklings FLEW THE COOP and tried to follow us to lunch. Their grand plan was foiled though my a nearby pre-K teacher who heard then peeping loudly as they waddled down the school hallway. :) Given their daring and sociable personalities, as well as their resistance to "the pin," we fondly named them Braveheart and Jailbird.
This is the best story I've heard in a long time. I can picture the little guys trying to follow your class to lunch. Can you blame them? They are class members too!!!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom