Best friendly chicken breed?

PurpleChicken1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
Hiya. I have kept chickens before but unfortunately Mr.Fox got a hold of them:(. I have an almost new coop and I was wondering which breed/s would be best to buy? They would preferably be good around children and decent egg layers. Would really be grateful for help! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Australorps or Orpingtons are generally very mellow breeds, but there is always the possibility that they will go broody.

Barred rocks. Sweet, friendly, sociable. We've had one since she was one day old and the other we adopted at an unknown age (she looks ancient but still lays an egg almost every day).

One of our Australorps bites and the other doesn't seem to enjoy the company of people. The one who bites has been with us since she was one day old & the other was adopted when she was about a year & a half old.

They are all so different, it's hard to say. :)

X2 on the Barred Rocks. I'm new at this and only have Barred Rocks and Leghorns and they're both good towards me but the BR's are exceptionally friendly. That's been my experience but from reading I'd say it probably depends on the individual birds' personality. My biggest BR (dominant bird) likes to peck at me for some reason, especially any shiny stuff on you (keys, wedding ring, boot eyelets, etc.) but the pecks are friendly in nature - not trying to chase me away or anything. I started my flock for the fertilizer, eggs, and BBQ in the end so I'm trying not to get attached to them but man it is tough not too. The gals don't make it easy to keep your distance when they run out to greet you everytime they hear you coming. You can tell they're happy. They look like a bunch of guys in chicken suits running around in the run.

Back
Top Bottom