best load for coyoties

Rooster#3

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
wisconsin
I am planing to go coyote hunting this weekend. will #3 buck take down a coytie? I also have a Ruger 10/22 semi auto ,single shot 22, single shot 4.10 note issint accurate. will a 12 gauge with 00 buck be over kill. what about an SKS?

Note i am only hunting to protect my chickens.

any help is appreciated.

Rooster#3 :

I am planing to go coyote hunting this weekend. will #3 buck take down a coytie? I also have a Ruger 10/22 semi auto ,single shot 22, single shot 4.10 note issint accurate. will a 12 gauge with 00 buck be over kill. what about an SKS?

Note i am only hunting to protect my chickens.

any help is appreciated.

we were discussing coyote shooting on here
big_smile.png
>>>

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=247785

meri​

Any of the listed guns will kill a coyote but most of the time you will need something can reach out and touch from a little father away.
Depending on what SKS you have and how accurate it is I think it would be your best option.

I am not a rifle guy. However, I inherited a VERY NICE 6mm 700 Remington bolt action and I get cartridges at Wally World in the fall deer season as they stock them at this time. I have at least 6 boxes of 20.

The rifle has a nice scope and I zero it every year. I have a bud that has a .243 and another that has a .270.

We all go out in the late summer and coyote hunt.

These type of rifles are really what you need for these critters. So i would think your SKS would fit the bill more readily.

Since ammo for these rifles are from a buck to almost 2 bucks per pull of the trigger, a decent scope would be in order.

Any of the ones you've mentioned would work, but coyotes get "gun smart" very quickly. You're better off with something with range. Not sure how accurate your SKS is, some of them are very sloppy and others are reasonably good. That sounds like the best choice out of the ones you mentioned.

IMO a good bolt action in the .22-250/.223/.243 range is best, or get a Ruger mini-14 or AR15.

Too bad the .410 you have isn't something you're happy with. A .410 w/ slugs is a decent coyote stopper if you dont want to use a rifle due to downrange concerns.

I have killed coyotes at 70 yards with a 22 hp,its all according to the range you will be shooting and how experienced you are with a rifle or shotgun.Practice with your guns and learn where they hit,best ammo,If I had to choose from what you have,the single shot 22 with a high quality scope would be my choice.a 22-250 is a great choice but with ammo being costly and the price of the rifle and scope would be a bit expensive,,,but if money is no object,go first class

Well out of what you listed as available options. I would use either the 12 gauge or the SKS.

I think a lot depends on the distance you are looking to take down the yotes from and how good of a shot you are. At a closer range I would say the 12 gauge with 00 buckshot would work great. There is no such thing as "overkill" if you want them dead. But with any shotgun you are limited to distance. The SKS would work great at a longer distance. If you use the SKS I recommended using a hollow point or pointed soft point. Keep in mind with an SKS (or any rifle) if you miss your target the bullet will keep going. Shotgun is much safer if you have neighbors, etc. to worry about. I personally wouldnt bother with the .22 or 20 or .410 gauge if you got a 12 guage.
smile.png
Happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom