Best Place to buy Wood Shavings in Bulk?

NHCrazy4Chicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Southern NH
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I live in NH and was wondering if anyone ever buys thier wood shavings online and gets bags/bales delivered to their home. Are there any low cost pet bedding dealers who sell to individual customers? Was thinking I could stock up before the new pullets arrive in the Spring! My local Agway and other pet supply stores obviously sell them, but am thinking of a more cost effective way to purchase in bulk.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Enjoy the holiday!

Gobble Gobble!

What about feed stores? That's usually the cheapest way to buy baled shavings IME. And some will (if you ask) give you a little bit of a discount, or maybe free delivery, if you order enough of 'em (although that may be more than you would be getting).

I could be wrong but it is hard for me to imagine that mail-ordering from pet supply distributors would be cheaper -- a lot of the cost is the transportation, and it's cheaper for your feedstore to order a tractor-trailer load and sell you some of 'em than for you to be individually shipped ten or twenty bags. (The cheapest thing for bagged shavings would be to buy a whole tractor-trailer load, but if that's not wildly more than you need, you have a SCARY number of chickens and I don't want to think about it LOL)

If you want cheap bulk shavings, the thing to do is find a sawmill or similar outfit, who will sell you a dumpload of them. You'll need a storage area and will lose a bit to moisture etc, and the quality will not usually be as good as if you bought bagged, but that's how horse barns on a budget usually buy their shavings.

JMHO, good luck,

Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom