Best predator proof automatic coop door

Natural Mama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Littleton, Colorado
Hello everyone!

It has been ages since I posted last. We have recently moved to the mountains and we are building a new chicken coop. I would like to install an automatic coop door but I want the best one to protect my girls against predators. What would you all recommend? I want something that a raccoon can't open. What are your suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Hilary

I do not have one. but have studied them somewhat. In my opinion the Ador 1 seems the best option. It is tricky for a raccoon to open since it's sheet steel and hard to grab to open for a coon.

I've been using the ador door for over a year. It is pricey like most of the automatic doors but is the best chicken investment I made. It works perfectly and is solid. No need to wake up early and no need to worry about locking them up at night. Both are priceless time saved.

We are building the coop into an existing barn. With time the girls will have access to an outdoor run from there. I would like to put 1 automatic door on the coop inside the barn. There is a clear PVC panel at the top in the front of the barn that lets in light. Do you think that would be enough light to activate the Dawn & Dusk feature? I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture.

So I am able to upload a picture from my phone but not from my computer. Weird. You can see the clear panel across the top. Do you think that would let in adequate light for the sensor?

Last edited:
So never mind. I found the answer after digging thru their website. You can purchase an external light sensor for when your unit does not get adequate light. This seems to be a good unit. I think I will get one. Thanks for the suggestion! Sorry about all of the posts.

Back
Top Bottom