Best Raccoon-proof freeze-proof latches?

AmericanKraut

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Minnesota
Hi All!

I'm new to BYC. Setting up a flock this spring. A few people have mentioned spring latches can get covered in slush so they freeze up and are a pain in the winter. I have arthritis in my hands. Is there another option that's raccoon-proof? Or are the spring ones really not an issue in the winter?

Thank you!

I'm in GA and don't have to deal with the type of winters you do, but think our method may be better for you?

We have a slide type latch just to keep door closed but for raccoon protection use clasp closures with carbingers thru these and they should not be difficult for you to use and I don't think they will freeze up. Here's a photo.

Yep, I use the loop and carabineers same as sunflour......
....but they can freeze up too if they get wet.

Might want to install a flap of rubber or something over them to protect them from precipitation.

Last edited:
Oh, great idea! We have carabineers all over the garage from whatever camping gear and whatnot. Excellent solution! You guys are great! Thanks for helping out a greenhorn like me. I think it could still freeze tough, but without the spring and tiny size of the spring latch, hopefully it'll be a lot easier for me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom