Best thermometer for calibration

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I have attempted to calibrate my thermometers multiple times. I have a digital meat thermometer and 4 digital thermometer/hygrometers, including one Govee. The meat thermometer showed between 31.9 and 33 in the ice water. I put the digital thermometers in ziploc baggies in the ice water, and none showed below 34. When I put all of them on the counter including the meat thermometer, they were at most 3 degrees apart.

What thermometer do you all use in your incubator, and how do you go about calibrating a digital thermometer that can’t be submerged in water? Does anyone have a link to a non-digital waterproof thermometer? I have my Govee in the incubator now, and it’s showing an average of 98.8 (incubator set at 100…I do think it runs slightly lower than what is shown from last years hatches.)

I’m just incredibly frustrated that I can’t seem to get an accurate temp during calibration, and am tired of buying thermometers I have to “guess” with.

Thank you.

Some thermometers can be adjusted, but most need you to make the adjustment mentally. Your ice water is the known temperature. If the thermometer is reading 33 you know that it is reading a warmer temperature than what the real temperature is. More tests could show weather it Is 1 degree of or is it a gradual difference. Always 1 off then have it read 100 to get 99. Gradual it might be more like 103 to get 99. I have read that thermometer designed for reptile cages or fish tanks tend to be more accurate, but I don't know if it is true.

I like the old school mercury thermometers; I use cheap aquarium type that are on the metal hanger that is flat for hanging on the side of aquariums and lay nicely on top of eggs for easy reading. Calibrate them to know exact temp as @Yardmom stated and right difference on it with a sharpie.
81Y87rqjjiL._AC_UL400_.jpg

https://philadelphiainstrument.com/ Give these folks a call, they can help you out. They manufacture incubator thermometer. I have a couple I bought over 20 yrs ago. You will always be guessing until you invest in a quailty thermometer. Once you have an accurate standard of measurment you can compare and calibrate your other thermometers. The downside is they are a little pricey and fragile being glass mercury type.

I'm still searching for a thermometer that I am happy with. I have two new ones that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. One is a Govee. I already have two, but the one coming I can check even if I'm not at home while the other two only work if I'm in range. The second thermometer that is supposed to arrive tomorrow has a probe that I can submerge in water to test accuracy. (My current thermometer with a probe started giving me crazy readings in ice water so I pitched it). I'll find out soon if I like it, and I'll update if it's any good. It's digital though so you may not be interested.

I'm still searching for a thermometer that I am happy with. I have two new ones that are supposed to arrive tomorrow. One is a Govee. I already have two, but the one coming I can check even if I'm not at home while the other two only work if I'm in range. The second thermometer that is supposed to arrive tomorrow has a probe that I can submerge in water to test accuracy. (My current thermometer with a probe started giving me crazy readings in ice water so I pitched it). I'll find out soon if I like it, and I'll update if it's any good. It's digital though so you may not be interested.
The probe one would be an interest, please let me know!

The probe one would be an interest, please let me know!

Here is the link on Amazon if you're interested. I don't know if I'll like it, but if I can at least use ice-water to gauge its accuracy and calibrate the other thermometers I'll be happy. None of the reviewers mentioned incubators or hatching eggs, so who knows. There's no hygrometer but I am satisfied with the hygrometers on the Govees.

So far I am satisfied with the probe thermometer. In ice water the temperature read 32.3.

Unfortunately the new Govee was too big for my incubator so I’ll probably try to return it. 😭 Too bad, I was hoping to obsess about the incubator temp and humidity while I was at work and powerless to adjust anything haha.

I have attempted to calibrate my thermometers multiple times. I have a digital meat thermometer and 4 digital thermometer/hygrometers, including one Govee. The meat thermometer showed between 31.9 and 33 in the ice water. I put the digital thermometers in ziploc baggies in the ice water, and none showed below 34. When I put all of them on the counter including the meat thermometer, they were at most 3 degrees apart.

What thermometer do you all use in your incubator, and how do you go about calibrating a digital thermometer that can’t be submerged in water? Does anyone have a link to a non-digital waterproof thermometer? I have my Govee in the incubator now, and it’s showing an average of 98.8 (incubator set at 100…I do think it runs slightly lower than what is shown from last years hatches.)

I’m just incredibly frustrated that I can’t seem to get an accurate temp during calibration, and am tired of buying thermometers I have to “guess” with.

Thank you.
I have a Govee and questioned it, so put it in the freezer. It matched 0F, so put it in the fridge, it was 1F off of 41F. They have a way to calibrate those on your phone if you have the app, but I didn't need to.

I am however always skeptical, so today, ordered a different kind, the two-pack. They were highly rated, and probably half the size of the Govee. Just for comparison and so I don't have to keep switching the Govee between the coop, incubator, and brooder. These are on a deal today! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086PC5962/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom